Railroad Forums 

• Mechanicville Yard Aerial Report

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1017424  by KSmitty

KEN PATRICK wrote:...roads are public, railroads are private...
Just think it should be noted, this statement doesn't pass your "straight face test" Roads are public, but trucking companies are private. Railroads pay property taxes, and right of way maintenance costs, locomotive/car maintenance costs and fuel taxes...Trucking companies pay fuel taxes and vehicle maintenance costs. They have a built in advantage in that they can use public roads at little or no cost. If the gov't were to maintain the railroads, or make trucks drive on 100% privately built infrastructure then it would be a fair competition.
 #1017461  by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:Folks, we're pretty far off-topic at this point. I don't want to stifle a spirited and interesting discussion, but some of the topics we've branched out into would probably be better located in the Pan Am Southern thread. Please keep this in mind going forward. Thanks. :-)
Just in case anyone was having trouble locating it, the Pan Am Southern thread is here.
 #1017517  by malbojah

newpylong wrote:Has your drinking water been tested?
Well, I live in the same town and we haven't had a boil water order issued yet :)

But then again, I'm on well water and am being slowing poisoned by our local superfund site!