Railroad Forums 

• Mechanicsburg line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#24033  by MR77100

Does I&O still operate the ex-Big Four line to Mecanicsburg? I remember reading somewhere about the tracks being torn up and then put back in. Does anyone have more info?

#26845  by chessie8212

I come back on Rt 4 every time I leave Dayton to come home and there are usually hoppers back at the Mechanicsburg grain elevator. The tracks stop there. But with those cars, there has to be traffic.

#27749  by Hoosierailnut

I saw that line back in 1989 (yeah its been a while) and even then the line looked to be in service.. I think it has deadended at Mechanicsburg since PC days..

#27756  by MR77100

Where did that line go beyond Mechanicsburg?

#27885  by shlustig

MR77100,

This was the original Cleveland / Cincinnati route; Delaware was the division point / terminal. As Columbus developed, the mainline was shifted to the longer route via Columbus and London to Springfield, and the division point at Delaware was moved to Columbus.

The line remained intact as a detour and for local service. IIRC, the mid-section (Ostrander / Mechanicsburg) was abandoned in late NYC days, except for some local trackage in Marysville which was then served off the T&OC side.