Railroad Forums 

• MEC Somerset Branch update

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#338897  by Skullitor

I've only heard this line refered to as the Madison Branch.

#339958  by cpf354

Skullitor wrote:I've only heard this line refered to as the Madison Branch.
The term "Somerset Branch" may hearken back to the days when it ran all the way to Kineo Station in Rockwood. It passed under the CP at Somerset Jct. just south of Kineo. It was also known as the Kineo Branch. It was cut back to Bingham in the early 30's, then eventually back to North Anson and then finally Madison. The last Guilford ETT I saw, from 1998, called it the Madison Industrial Track, but I've heard it has been restored to branch line status.

#340255  by wolfmom69

Like the "rehab" on the former Lewiston Lower Branch this past summer(as far as the Celotex fiberboard mill in Lisbon Falls),there has been NO revenue moves. Switch to Celotex not hooked up,or spur cleaned;still using trailer trucks to ship out the fiber board.

While I love railroads,and want to see as much freight off the roads as possible,as a taxpayer,I dislike seeing our funds wasted! :(

Bud

#340640  by cpf354

wolfmom69 wrote:Like the "rehab" on the former Lewiston Lower Branch this past summer(as far as the Celotex fiberboard mill in Lisbon Falls),there has been NO revenue moves. Switch to Celotex not hooked up,or spur cleaned;still using trailer trucks to ship out the fiber board.

While I love railroads,and want to see as much freight off the roads as possible,as a taxpayer,I dislike seeing our funds wasted! :(

Bud
Yea, just ask anyone who has tried to sell for a railroad! Sure, they're interested in rail, if the price is right, and then maybe too if the service is the same as trucking. Either the railroad of the govt. puts up the money for it, and then they never see a car.
A lot of this is a way to leverage down truck rates, I have to believe.