Railroad Forums 

• MEC Roundhouse and Locomotives identification

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#747747  by Leo Sullivan

Thanks to Wally for the brief but complete identification.
I scanned hundreds of these negatives, from a carton found in Maine. I suspect that many,
though glass, are copy negatives and, i would like to know more of the history of the
pictures. Many have the name F.W.Smith and dates in the 80s or 90s written on the
emulsion but, that is all the information.
Now that I have learned to reduce the digital size of the pictures by about 99% and
still get a recognizable image, I can post some here and ask about them.
Many are locomotive portraits with little or no background and, those will remain
unlocateable but, there are a few worth asking.
I am including two here for possible identification.
LS
 #747751  by Mikejf

I have seen the location of the first photo somewhere in my readings. Now if I can just remember where I saw it. The second photo, they are on an armstrong turntable in front of what looks like a two stall Engine house. One stall is visible with the other to the right of it by looking at the tracks in the snow. Someone with train number knowledge might be able to figure that out because it is either going to be Train #23X or it just was 23X. Anybody with a timetable handy out there?
Mike
 #751872  by GP9railfan

The 1st picture looks like what was the Bangor Roundhouse. It was torn down in the mid 80's to make room for the I-395 overpass. I drove down there last month to see what was left. Not much left there. It was very sad to see that place disappear. The Calais turntable was just cut up for scrap a few months ago also. I was pissed when I heard that news.

The 2nd one looks like what was the old original Brunswick station (which is long gone) where the Rockland Branch, & lower road meet at the Wye. The locomotive appears to be pointed towards Portland. This is going by old photos I've seen in books, & various web sites. There's a new station not too far from there now though which is really good news. However.. It could also possibly be the old Washington Junction station on the Calais Branch up near Ellsworth, but I don't believe there were multiple tracks there.

I'm not 100% sure on the 3rd one. There's not enough landmarks to give any clues. Great pictures though! Thanks for posting them.
 #752737  by CarterB

The second photo, at the station, of #29, looks like a very early 'inside connected' loco, link & pin coupler, possibly made by Hinkley & Drury of Boston, shut down in 1857, which may help date the photo.
 #753186  by Leo Sullivan

Good eye for a builder. The locomotive in the second picture is the J.S. Cushing built by
Hinkley and Drury in 1848. By 1871, the same name was on a Portland Co. Product.
Incidentally, do you know if H&D were located in the same place as the later Hinkley Works?
LSA