Railroad Forums 

• MEC Pulpwood flat cars

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#53837  by JKTRR

I've just purchased two of the Atlas GSC pulpwood cars. They're red with "painted in" reporting marks for the MEC (#7711, #7714). I'm told they patterned on ex-D&H cars "sold" to the MEC during the Guilford years. A quick review of Morning Sun's "Northern New England Color Guide......." provides no clues to these cars. I trust that Atlas did their homework/research when deciding to produce them.

So, can anyone advise whether these cars have valid MEC #'s? (If yes: are they ex-D&H and what were the D&H nos.)

(Travelled to Maine via NH/B&M/MEC in '56; when to No. Maine Jct in '03 and rode the "Downeaster" last fall, so have been reintroduced to New England railroading and am shifting my modelling emphesis in a northerly direction!)

Thanks for your help!
 #587039  by SLR 393

The numbers tie to the info i have. atlas does a good job with car #s and the like.
 #591234  by mick

The Atlas cars represent ex-D&H cars that were sold to MEC in the early 1980's, probably as part of the deal that sent the 15(?) D&H U23B's to MEC Also. This was part of an effort to bring much-needed cash to the D&H before Guilford purchased it in 1984. The MEC, B&M and D&H had pool-power agreements starting in 1981 or '82, so although the U-Boats were re-lettered for MEC, they were still used by the D&H, as well as MEC and B&M power.
The last shipments of pulpwood on the MEC were in 1996, I believe, so many of the cars were put in storage and probably scrapped, as Guilford went on a massive scrapping spree in the early 1990's, cutting up hundreds of freight cars and locomotives that were sitting unused all over the system.
 #679003  by NYC27

The Atlas cars represent cars that came to the MEC in 1964-65 when Internationl Paper opened the mill at Rileys. They were originally built for the C&O. I'm guessing they were actually owned by IP and leased to the railroads noted, since they served IP mills on each the C&O, D&H and MEC. That is just a theory though. They are spot on and the numbers are correct.
 #685090  by mick

NYC27 wrote:The Atlas cars represent cars that came to the MEC in 1964-65 when Internationl Paper opened the mill at Rileys. They were originally built for the C&O. I'm guessing they were actually owned by IP and leased to the railroads noted, since they served IP mills on each the C&O, D&H and MEC. That is just a theory though. They are spot on and the numbers are correct.

Are you talking about the ex- D&H cars, with the name painted over, and COTS stencils? These cars came to the MEC much later than1964-65. Early 80's.