Railroad Forums 

• MEC 375 & MEC 300 into Springfield Terminal for Repairs

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#173410  by Ejen34

I visited Waterville this morning taking photos and found MEC 375 GP40 and MEc 300 GP40 in for repairs. I asked a Guilford employee what was being done but got no answer :(

Here is a photo:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A2

I got real lucky today, 10 powers present:

mec 318, bm330, st643, mec308, st 71, st 52, st 15, st 12, mec 375,
and mec 300. Plus I took an updated photo of the dead line. 10 pix'es uploaded to NERail.

Cheers

Ed

Hi

#173497  by thebigham

Thanks, Ed!!

Chris
 #173750  by MEC407

Ejen34 wrote:I asked a Guilford employee what was being done but got no answer :(
Hey, at least the employee didn't tell you to leave! That's the answer that most people would have been given! :wink:
 #173794  by Ejen34

MEC407 wrote:
Hey, at least the employee didn't tell you to leave! That's the answer that most people would have been given! :wink:
I have been down there 4 times now and on the property and have talked with various folks. All have been pleasant and some helpful. Overall my experiences I have to say have been good !! :wink:

#175385  by NellsChoo

Judging by some of the photos I have seen taken at Waterville, it seems like a low-security place! We sure didn't want to get too close when we visited this past summer. We don't need to end up on the FBI terrorist list... Which is a whole other topic right there! :wink:

#175444  by MEC407

I think it depends on when you go. Sometimes it's pretty laid back, and other times there is a visible railroad police presence.

With that in mind, the entire property is clearly posted as private property, so if you do venture in, don't ever be surprised if you do get in trouble. :wink:

#175571  by wolfmom69

All it takes is for the yardmaster to call the Waterville Police,and our photo friend will be arrested. Suspect if yardmaster expected a visit from some GRS execs,this call would be made,

Have been railfanning Waterville for years,staying in public areas or the parking lot by the office, Had a great talk with a GRS policeman who thanked me for not tresspassing. Then we got talking guns,as I'd just come from a Waterville Gun Show,and we even compared our" carry guns"(I have a CCW permit). And this was after 9/11,so I suspect he knew I wasn't a terroist!

I've evn gone across the river to view the deadline from the Winslow side with a telephoto. Lot of jagged metal in the yard area that can puncture a tire!

Either GRS is getting "relaxed" in H2Oville,or you have been lucky;damm lucky!

Bud :(

#176130  by CSX Conductor

What's a terroist? :P LOL

#181947  by NaugMOW

Ed, I must say I've also been surprised by some of the photos you take. I know in Portland if I decided to venture out on the yard tracks to take a couple of close ups it would not go over well. I've been interrogated by a RR cop in Old Orchard while waiting for a train at a grade crossing!! Just be careful . . .. I would hate to see them call the cops or anything.

#181963  by Ejen34

chadb9 wrote:Ed, I must say I've also been surprised by some of the photos you take. I know in Portland if I decided to venture out on the yard tracks to take a couple of close ups it would not go over well. I've been interrogated by a RR cop in Old Orchard while waiting for a train at a grade crossing!! Just be careful . . .. I would hate to see them call the cops or anything.
Thank you, I understand!! BTW if I go down to one of the Ribgy yards I have to be good :(
 #185141  by B&M E7

I'm a bit of a RIP VAN WINKLE when it comes to the Waterville area. I haven't been there since the Summer of 1982 or 1983.
I am particularly interested in locomotives in pre GTI paintb (B&M or MEC).
The question iis; What, if anything, am I likely to be able to see, of interest, in the Waterville dead line, without trespassing?
Thanks in advance.

Hi

#187100  by thebigham

I think all GRS locos are painted gray now.

Chris

#187128  by mick

There are two shells of GP-38's in Billerica still in MEC yellow and green,don't know the #'s offhand. However, they are not visible from puplic property.

#189527  by nhguy21

The Gp-38's at N. Billerica are MEC 254 & 259 both officially B&M 254/259 on paper. Last I heard they are still rostered, but in no way in running condition (Both are missing lots of parts)

JH