Railroad Forums 

• Meadowlands Rail Link

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#23  by Mudvalve

Looks like NJT is moving forward with the meadowlands link. A great idea, but one that I think is 20 years too late. It would offer me another way to attend games, concerts, etc..., but with the devils moving to Newark and the Nets (maybe) moving out to Brooklyn, will there be a reason (other than giants/Jets games) to go out there?

P.S. Like the new format, but miss some of the posts from the last forums.

#90  by Irish Chieftain

There's always Xanadu as a reason to use the rail link.

Of course, it would be more useful to send the line further northward to link with a re-four-tracked West Shore Line.

#640  by NIMBYkiller

Isn't that the plan? To send it throught the meadowlands to serve the sports complex AND to link to the West shore line?

#1255  by rvrrhs

Don't forget the racetrack. The horses will draw frequent train trips.

#2126  by rvrrhs

Here's what I just wrote on this topic in a different thread:
I think the point of continuing to plan/build the Meadowlands rail link is as follows:
1. there's still the Giants
2. there's still the Meadowlands Racetrack
3. there's still the Metrostars (until they get their own stadium in Harrison)
4. there's still the concerts
5. there's still the "_____ on Ice" shows
6. there's still the circus
7. there's still the college basketball/football
8. there's still the evangelist gatherings
9. there's still the consumer and trade shows
10. there will be the Xanadu complex, including not only the entertainment/convention facilities but offices, hotels, and stores
11. New Jersey will certainly be an attractive destination for another NBA team (or a minor-league basketball team, for that matter) once the Nets move
12. New Jersey is certainly an attractive destination for a Major League Baseball team (the Expos?), as it has been in the past. Of course, the funding for a baseball stadium would be a major issue, as it has in the past.
13. New Jersey is an attractive site for a NASCAR track.
14. don't forget the park-and-ride aspect.

The state and Bergen County have a commitment to keep the Meadowlands Sports Complex open and viable, and the rail link helps them in this.

However, as a resident of Union County, I'd rather travel to Newark than Rutherford for a concert or sporting event.