Railroad Forums 

• Mcdonough training center

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #745640  by beagledogxxx

Does anyone know if the training center is open again? I'm furloughed and when the center re-opens, I should be close to being called back. Hopefully soon. thanks
 #745853  by Gadfly

I can't say, but I wish you the best and hope, also, you get called back soon. I have'
'not so fond' memories of McDonough, but they are memories I can laugh about now these 30 years hence! We called it "railroad boot camp" back in the 80's as I, too, having been furloughed, was forced to go to McDonough to train as a Line of Road Clerk. The accomodations we were given were HORRIBLE with lumpy mattresses and the food...................................AWFUL!!!!!!!! Now I know you think I am exaggerating, but, if I am lying, I am dying :wink: ! There were not only lumps in the mattresses, but also lumps of"mystery" food on the tables you could scrape off with a putty knife!!! :( The hamburgers were so greasy you could LUBE a 350 Chevy by squeezing out the "grease".......or maybe 30 weight oil????????? In your valise, you made SURE to have a bottle of "that pink stuff" (if you know what I mean). :-D It was so bad, we got up a petition to Mr Melious, Director of the Training Center at the time, threatening to go to the Georgia Department of Health if he didn't DO something. It DID improve---for awhile.

Don't worry, THAT particular chain of motels is now closed or sold. I'm told that things are MUCH better. The motel shall remain nameless, but if they had been in NC, they would have been shuttered long before!!!! What was AMAZING about it was, there were REGULAR, old, retired folks that showed up at night and on Sundays to partake of their "cuisine" and they didn't seem to pay any mind to the mystery lumps on the tables! If you want to know what the name of the motel that sat JUST across I-75 beyond the old Holiday Inn, ask the locals!!!!!
Gadfly