Railroad Forums 

• Maybrook, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#44349  by Mr Lehigh

I've been looking for information on the yard at Maybrook, but I can't find much. I haven't seen any pictures or track diagrams (aside from historical topos) of it. It seems as though it was at one time a major connecting yard between NE and the rest ofd the country, but it has been forgotten about.

I remember back around 1980 or so reading an article in Model Railroader about a guy from that area who modelled the yard. I need to dig through my old boxes and find that article. Maybe I can find those old drawings of Rochester Junction while I'm at it.
 #44377  by eddiebear

Maybrook was the gateway to the New Haven Railroad and Southern New England. The New Haven interchanged freight directly with the NYO&W, ERIE, L & NE and L & HR. The DL & W, LV, RDG-CNJ and PRR were involved through the L & HR. The NYC's Walkill Valley Branch came into the area too. Some of the direct roads didn't get directly to Maybrook but had trackage rights over another road.
TRAINS MAGAZINE did an article on RAILROAD WONDERLAND about 1942 that captured the flavor of the whole area.
It is hard to believe that industrial and commercial New England was once so important in the economy.

#44416  by Otto Vondrak

If you are looking for articles on a particular subject, check out the Model Train Magazine Index. You can search Trains, Model Railroader, and others...

http://index.mrmag.com/

-otto-
 #44421  by henry6

each of the railroads involved...especially Stauffer's ERIE POWER, histories of the L&HR, the LNE, tne NYO&W, and the NH. Look for May 1955 fan trip stories in fan mags around that time. I rode from Dover via the DL, the L&HR to Maybrook, then the LNE to Portland, Pa. and back to Dover over the Cut Off. I still have pictures of Maybrook as we climbed all over the PA's. Best train out of Maybrook was the Jet service: TOFC out of Boston on the NH late in the afternoon, to Maybrook, then the L&HR to Hudson Yard and a Pennsy connection to Trenton and the mainline. Was designed to beat the NYC out of Boston. Everyone...fans and operator...cleared out of Andover Jct. tower (shed at the DL-LH diamond) as the Jet roared down at better than 55!

#44448  by Mr Lehigh

I tried Maybrook in the magazine search and came up with nothing. Oh well. I know I have it and I saved all those old magazines.

I know about all the railroads that went through that yard. It must have been a pretty busy place. I'm surprised no one has written a book on the history of the place.

#44577  by Mr Lehigh

Yeah, I saw that in the search. However I was looking in the Model Railroader search field for that article that I remember from way back when. It gave an interesting history of the yard and its demise. I couldn't find that. Maybe if I get more creative with my search terms.
 #44763  by gawlikfj

There is a new book coming out in the Fall called "Maybrook Switching Terminal" I ordered my copy already.
You can check out the New Haven Railroad site for the book & other topics at
www.nhrhta.org

I hope this will help.
Frank

#44768  by Mr Lehigh

Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
 #46776  by s4ny

There is a wonderful museum in Maybrook with great historical pictures of the yard. I think the hours are limited.
 #47111  by cnefan

Last I knew, the Railroad Museum in Maybrook (located in their own room in the north end of the local library in the center of town) is open Saturday and Sunday afternoons only until some time in September.

Leroy Beaujon (former NH RR employee)
Roseville, CA
 #47247  by gawlikfj

I beleive its open Saturdays & Sundays from 12 to 4 pm from April to Oct.

#48634  by MickD

What's left of Maybrook yard these days?Does anything pass through it all?Haven't been there since the 80's when I walked from newly opened
MN station at Campbell Hall to Maybrook&back.I remember thinking
that& the trip over Moodna were the only good things about the new
alternate routing of commuter trains.Although I guess after reconfiguration
of old L&HR connection ,there's no real need for it.Does anything run to the north of yard.
 #48903  by gawlikfj

Hi Mike:
Far as I know there's a Norfolk Southern train that brings lumber to a yard at Maybrook and there may be one other customer on the line.
The line runs to Berea and stops.
 #73340  by gawlikfj

The Maybrook Switching Terminal book is now supposed to be out in Feb.05