Railroad Forums 

• Maybrook Line - Poughkeepsie to Hopewell Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#12089  by DutchRailnut

mostly no rail and overgrown.

#12385  by roee

And a missing bridge. When the did work on 55 the pulled out the railroad bridge, over by where page lumber is.

#12571  by krispy

I believe they took out a bridge during a project on the Taconic. They took the rail up immediately, which is interesting for a railroad famous for abandoning whole branches as is, in place. Sic transit gloria...
:(
 #12600  by Bernard Rudberg

The Taconic is east of Hopewell Junction. There are still tracks under the Taconic overpass. That section belongs to Metro North. There is occasional rail traffic on that section but no regular service.

The section from Poughkeepsie to Hopewell Junction does not have tracks. The bridge at route 55 and also the one at Diddell Road are both gone. If you hike the ROW you will have to find a way across route 55 at the pedestrian crossing by Page lumber yard. Watch out for kids on 4 wheel ATV's. The local cops also patrol the ROW on ATV's.

Bernie

#12638  by JBlaisdell

The whole R-O-W is owned by the County and marked No Trespassing. Nothing left to see anyway...

#12678  by railtrailbiker

Anyone know how long the route between Poughkeepsie and Hopewell Junction is?

I want to either hike or bike the entire stretch; hopefully the police are looking for ATV users, not bikers & hikers. Also, I think that there's a water main under the ROW now? Perhaps that's why the patrols?

Any ideas on good parking locations in Poughkeepsie or along the way?

#12705  by DutchRailnut

hmm No tresspassing is only for ATV's ???

#12706  by Bernard Rudberg

From Poughkeepsie to Hopewell Junction is about 12 miles. There is no water line under the ROW. It has not been built yet.

Bernie Rudberg

#13444  by JBlaisdell

There is also a bridge out about 1/2 mile west of 376 in Fishkill Plains at Sprout Creek.

IMO, nothing on this line worth hiking it for, especiallt since it IS posted No Trespass at every grade crossing with the signs planted in the middle of the r-o-w. Hard to tell a cop you didn't see them...

#13447  by sodusbay

Remember the "missing" (or conveniently forgotten) verse from Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" where he says about a No Trespassing sign: "on the other side, it didn't say nothing".

Not that I'm advocating trespassing where there is harm being done (like walking through a crop field) or privacy being violated (like walking through a back yard) or safety being compromised (like an active ROW), but tell me how hiking on an abandoned railroad bed harms anyone? They are just trying to cover themselves incase there are liability clains.

#13453  by DutchRailnut

thats like bending law to your convenience.
Its Ok to speed as long as you cause no incidents.
its OK to steal cause the other guy has more than me.
its OK to Screw your Neighbours wife cause she needs it.
its OK to not pay taxes cause governement wastes my money anyway?
???????????????

#13531  by railtrailbiker

Reportedly, the ROW has been cleared and graded in East Fishkill by the municipality there and is now open for public use.

The remaining portions of the ROW will not be officially open for public use until the project noted below is finished.

All of this information was obtained from the ROW agent for the County's Public Works Department (Dutchess County).

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/toda ... 04s1.shtml

#13540  by sodusbay

It's OK, I lived for many years in Holland, so I understand your mentality.

#13542  by DutchRailnut

wow little crack at Dutch ?? I don't pick on USA do I ???
I lived for many years in Holland too from when I was born till Age 26. but yes in Holland people wait when the pedestrian light is red.
you get photo tickets for going 3 Km over speed limit but best thing is people respect the Law and other peoples property.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.