Railroad Forums 

• Mattawamkeag Yard Diagram.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1154906  by KSmitty

Anyone have any picture or a yard diagram of Mattawamkeag in its glory days? The crossing posts say 5 or 6 tracks, yet there are only 2 tracks that still cross Rt. 2. I'd be interested in seeing what the area used to look like. Thanks!
 #1155425  by JB283

I remember back in the day there use to be 6 tracks that crossed route 2 there. Three on the CP side and 3 on the MEC side.
 #1155433  by KSmitty

JB283 wrote:I remember back in the day there use to be 6 tracks that crossed route 2 there. Three on the CP side and 3 on the MEC side.
They still have it posted that way! Even though now they are down to the NBSR and Pan Am mains that cross the road.
 #1155870  by JB283

Yea, sorry. I meant 6 active tracks. I remember for some reason real well seening a CP RS ?? pushing a small group of tank carse across rt. 2 towards the station. And i remember as a youngin seeing a CP maintanace train parked on one of the yard tracks up by the station. and I remember seeing sometimes driving by there with my grandfather, and seeing lots of pulpwood cars and a bunch ofbox cars from CP and MEC. But when your 10 years old you dont think about taking pictures. Wish i did. Id like to see pics of Mattawamkeag in its prime too!
 #1155967  by kwf

Tracks crossing Depot St (north to south):
Track 20 Public delivery spur (off Track 18)
Track 18 Public delivery siding (off CPR main)
CPR Main
MEC Main
Track 3 Scale track (5972' 100cars)
Track 9 Turntable lead
Track 19 Spur to pvt delivery

Tracks crossing Military Rd (north to south):
CPR Main
CPR Sidings (two tracks)
Track 4 feeds two pvt sidings (Tracks 22 and 24)
MEC Main
Track 3 Scale Track
 #1156671  by baldy

You guys are showing your age! In its heyday there were 9 tracks crossing Rt. 2. 6 on the CP side and 3 on the MEC side. I don't know exactly when, in the mid to late 60s I'd say, 3 tracks were removed on the CP side. One track was removed on the MEC side about 1980. Two of the three remaining tracks on the CP side are still connected to the main line, however they end just east of the crossing. One set of tracks on the MEC side is in the pavement but no rails connect to them. Up till the mid 70's there was a crossing tender on duty 24/7. Talk about a dream job back in the days when traffic moved on these lines!
 #1156861  by CarterB

When was the turntable just N of Depot St. taken out of service?