Railroad Forums 

• Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#954437  by NYCRS3

daylight4449 wrote:
thebigham wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:Now, what kind of locos are on the property, aside from the 2100? Are the alco centurys still there, and what about the RS1? Also, do they own their own passenger cars? I've seen pictures of passenger trains pulled by MassCentral power.
The Alcos are long gone.
Thanks. Also of note is that the C424 that is expected at RMNE is a veteran of the Mass Central. Come to think of it, I know two Mass Central veterans myself (Dennis Lebeau and Bob Buck). Dennis did mention there was a Whitcomb 44 tonner around when he left the railroad about 15(?) years ago. Anyone know if that one is parked in the bushes?
The 401 Whitcomb was cut up (my guess) about 10-11 years ago next to what is now Flamingo Motorsports, the original MC offices. All of it was loaded into two roll-offs. The two active EMD's are the 960 and 2100. The 1729 hasn't been around but as of 2 months ago was getting work done on its trucks.

There is nothing left of passenger equipment. The three coaches and RS-1 were sold by the estate of the gentleman who owned them after he passed away. That was also several years ago, probably after about 1997 IIRC. There was a string of dead equipment at Barre Plains including 2 hoppers, an old skeleton of an RPO, an OB CV box, etc.. All were cut up for scrap on-site about 2004.

While the names are being dropped, yes, Dennis started out with John Conn in the early days of hand-labor restoring the line while Bob Buck was instrumental in promoting the excursions.
 #954657  by daylight4449

So, did Dennis get trained by this John Conn? Really the only things that Dennis has told me about his time at the Mass Central was running the excursions, and working on the NW5 (which he considered a death-trap compared to the CF7, which now works the G&U). Man, he'll be wondering how I know all this... Actually, I don't think he knows what happened to the Whitcomb and the passenger equipment. It's going to kill me when I give him the news. Guess he really liked running those trips.
 #954670  by NYCRS3

I believe the 957 was scrapped shortly after its crash running into the CM branch with a mis-placed switch, but let me address a latter set of comments.

Dylan, did you read Brian Solomon's MCER article in Trains magazine? I hope so! There you will read about Dennis's involvement. (I know you met Brian at the Steaming Tender a few weeks ago.) When you mention "this John Conn" you are referring to a former B&A employee who went before the Ware Board of Selectmen to receive their blessing to actively pursue the salvation of the Ware River track when abandonment was imminent during the 1970's and not included in the State's and Conrail's plan. John went before the Massachusetts Legislature and he was a driving force to work with others to incorporate the MCER. He grew up in Enfield, MA which lies deep beneath Quabbin waters today. John was there to evaluate the system and work alongside Loram who did the rebuild in and around 1978.

Now how is the 2100 a "death trap" compared to the CF-7? I've ridden every loco on the system without regard to any fear about any safety concerns. Explain that. Each loco was unique but never anything to worry about.
 #954892  by daylight4449

NYCRS3 wrote:I believe the 957 was scrapped shortly after its crash running into the CM branch with a mis-placed switch, but let me address a latter set of comments.

Dylan, did you read Brian Solomon's MCER article in Trains magazine? I hope so! There you will read about Dennis's involvement. (I know you met Brian at the Steaming Tender a few weeks ago.) When you mention "this John Conn" you are referring to a former B&A employee who went before the Ware Board of Selectmen to receive their blessing to actively pursue the salvation of the Ware River track when abandonment was imminent during the 1970's and not included in the State's and Conrail's plan. John went before the Massachusetts Legislature and he was a driving force to work with others to incorporate the MCER. He grew up in Enfield, MA which lies deep beneath Quabbin waters today. John was there to evaluate the system and work alongside Loram who did the rebuild in and around 1978.

Now how is the 2100 a "death trap" compared to the CF-7? I've ridden every loco on the system without regard to any fear about any safety concerns. Explain that. Each loco was unique but never anything to worry about.
I'm not sure why Dennis considered 2100 a death-trap. Guess maybe it was preference, or he might have had a bad experience with 2100. He didn't really say. I saw 2100 first about four or five years ago, before she got her repaint. Saw her again about a year ago, and she looks well cared for. On the MCER article, did Brian write it recently? I've been out of the loop lately with some publications... Also interesting to learn about John Conn. I hope his kids are proud of the legacy he left. Being the driving force behind restoring a railroad that became one of New England's most well known shortlines... I wish I could meet him.
 #1019296  by daylight4449

I saw Dennis yesterday, and asked him more about his time on Mass Central. He told me about an accident the 2443 suffered in which it ended up on it's side, and that he left Mass Central shortly afterwords. Can anyone tell me about this accident?
 #1178070  by MEC407

The P&W units you're thinking of are SD60s. Much bigger than the little GP15-2 that Mass Central is leasing.
 #1194158  by bk77

thebigham wrote:According to Railfan/Railroad's website, they are getting 2 GP38s:

http://www.railfan.com/railnews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bSEaWrZR-zU/U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 3+1750.jpg
Confirmed (in B&M blue bird inspired paint, although I think I prefer the D&H colors better) as per this pic I found while doing a search...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3511984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;