Railroad Forums 

• Massachusetts Central Railroad (MCER) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1401113  by TomNelligan

YamaOfParadise wrote:Figured I would ask here about this: were the MCER's track(s) that run adjacent to NECR's line in Palmer originally part of CV's mainline, or was it always a separately owned line on a shared right-of-way?
Always two separate railroads, with the current Mass Central line previously being a Boston & Albany/New York Central/Penn Central branch that happened to parallel the CV on the way out of town.
 #1414293  by whatelyrailfan

I saw my very first Mass Central train today, in the Bondsville section of Palmer while stopped at the Church Street crossing. The two bluebirds were power, with a pretty good-sized consist of at least 15 covered hoppers on the head pin, and a number of large flatcars carrying lengths of pipe (LARGE pipes). Just wish I had my Nikon with me! He was headed out of Palmer going east? north?, what customers do they serve?
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1414306  by Safetee

mass central trains go north from palmer.
not a lot of on line customers. mostly transloading at forest lake, ware, and barre plains.

the pipe is probably headed for the barre plains wildwood reload facility. covered hoppers are salt or plastic pellets.
 #1565674  by BR&P

backroadrails wrote:For those who haven't heard, the NW5 was recently moved to Palmer and is being serviced so it can be returned to operation.
That would be a fine engine for a museum or tourist operation. But unless it's going to be used at some industry for occasional light duty, they'd be better off putting their money elsewhere IMHO.