Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1037786  by boatsmate

I have seen pictures from Fall River trips they are using the F(?) unit as well as the 150. what was the engine number for the 150?? I thought it was origianly just the way the picture was taken, butu on a seperate picture with both number boards and number on the side it is the Mass coastal 150

Bill
 #1037845  by The ViRoCo

boatsmate wrote:I have seen pictures from Fall River trips they are using the F(?) unit as well as the 150. what was the engine number for the 150?? I thought it was origianly just the way the picture was taken, butu on a seperate picture with both number boards and number on the side it is the Mass coastal 150

Bill
I thought that the F Unit was heading out of Fall River and 1501 was heading in to Fall River. I haven't heard about an engine that is 150. And by the way will they be doing an equiptment move to the Cape? Or will all the equiptment just stay in Fall River for the Mass Bay Trip on Saturday?
 #1037914  by boatsmate

I looked at the pic's again and the 150 is lettered for the pass train... in later photos posted late last night they have a coupe pf mass coastal engines working the train
 #1047435  by caperailincfan

Anyone know if this is still there current schedule? I know thing will be switching around with Cape Cod Central operations now underway. Cape Cod Central will be running 9AM and 12PM Scenic Train Departures along with food service trains between 6:30 and 9:30 until September and then they switch to 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. However this might change as the Elegant Dinner Train and the 2 departures of the Family Supper Train cross the Canal. Also if anyone is interested the Massachusetts Maritime Academy has a live Canal webcam facing the Buzzards Bay Railroad Bridge (Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge) and the Bourne Bridge located at http://www.maritime.edu/live/canal.html . Cape Cod Central #150 is really Cape Cod Central #1501 and is not a Mass Coastal Locomotive. The F Unit is 1501 also and belongs to the Grafton & Upton Railroad. The CEO of the Grafton & Upton is also the CEO of Cape Rail which holds Mass Coastal and Cape Cod Central.
masscoastalfan wrote:current schedule of Mass Coastal:
Operates 6 days a week. Trais refered to as lead engine number on scanner. Example: extra MC 2006
YArmouth train Usual motive power MC 2006 GP7u): runs 6 days/week.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: depart Seamass about 6am. Cross bridge about 7 am. arrive yarmouth around 8am.
Tuesday Thursday Saturday: Depart seamass at about 6am cross bridge 7am. take emptys to Otis. Arrive otis about 730am. Depart otis about 8 am. Arrive canal junction at about 830-9am. bring empties to yarmouth and arrive around around 10am. The afternoon run (monday-saturday) with loads back to seamass, is very iratic. It can depart yarmouth anytime between 3 and 7pm. This train does not pick up loads from otis.
Falmouth train/CSX interchange run (usual motive power MC 2008 GP9RM):
operates Monday Wednesday Friday:
Depart Seamass about 12pm
Arrive at Buzzards bay at about 1pm.
Arrive at otis to pick up loads about 130pm.
Depart otis about 2pm.
Arrive canal junction about 230pm.
Arrive Seamass about 330pm.
After this they will go up to the csx interchange or work the industries off cape. Loads are only taken out of otis 3 days a week.
This is not an official schedule, but this is the jist of how they operate. Times can vary greatly depending on track work, weather conditions, and if a boat is passing through the canal.
NO Mass Coastal trains run on Sundays
 #1064183  by jscola30

When was the last time a train went beyond the Yarmouth transfer station? I take it the track between there and the beginning of the Cape Cod Rail Trail is being turned into an extention of the rail trail?
 #1064285  by BayColony1706

Last train to South Dennis (Mid-Cape Home Centers) was around 1997. And yes, the track from Station Ave to 134 is unfortunately becoming a bike trail extention.
 #1064320  by jscola30

Thank you!. I was actually at station Ave. yesterday photographing the crossing and abandoned rails. I think it's good at least the right of way isn't being let go totally, but I wonder is the Cape betting against it's future by turning so much of the rail bed into bike trails...I assume there is no case of a bike trail being ripped up and re replaced with rail?
 #1064324  by BayColony1706

Its a mix of crooked politicians and over-zealous eco-geeks calling the shots. Unfortunately, the Cape is pretty Anti-rail and very short-sighted. I have yet to see a case of Trails to rails. Sadly, once a track is torn up and paved, it will never be replaced.
 #1064325  by jscola30

Yea I was thinking to myself, what if one day people want to expand rail (in terms of mileage) in the Cape? Only way would be to build a whole new line (with a whole new set of complications), although that fantasy subway map that hangs in Snow's while obviously humorous, I think does have some merit to it.
 #1074112  by SOCO11

New construction in New Bedford to State Pier and Cold Storage Warehouse. New ties and ballast work. No siding yet to tie in the warehouse yet. Does anyone know if there is an anticipated use for the State Pier trackage?
 #1074303  by GP40MC1118

The Maritime Terminal has a siding, its the connection to the yard that was severed.
This was poor design by the city when they did the yard over again. MT has been draying
it stuff back and forth from the Wainer (former Alden Paper) siding up at Deane Street.

As for the state pier, the siding was substantially shortened over a decade ago. I doubt
what remains is all that useful. Plus you have all the other interests on the pier...

d
 #1074315  by GP40MC1118

I went by there Thursday late morning and I did not see any activity for the Maritime
Terminal siding as far as rehab goes.

And yes, the connection would require modification to that ridiculous elevated track.

All of this may be a moot point if they don't fix up the bridge over Acushnet Ave down at the
Wamsutta Mills.

D