Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1618618  by malbojah

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 am The UCCRTS / Cavossa business is growing and benefits the Cape as it removes truck traffic from our Canal bridges while reducing air pollution as well.
The biggest benefit will be if MSW in considerate volume / multiple companies is shipped out by rail. I wouldn't mind shaving 40 miles off my route every day.
 #1619444  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Noticed today that an electronic message sign has been posted at the Bell Road RR crossing stating that the crossing will be closed for reconstruction starting 4/14/23 to 4/15/23. The way I look at it MassDOT is sending a message to the Bourne bike path group that rehabilitation of the Falmouth Secondary RR line will continue, and the tracks will not be removed. A lot of whining going on lately in the local newspapers from the BRT group calling for removal of the tracks so I hope they enjoy watching the project as the trains will continue to run.
 #1619801  by SOCO11

Construction in Fall River beyond SCR. Brush clearing and cleanup along ROW into the yard and extending the track at the end of the runaround. There is also work at the adjacent demolished mill building on Ferry St. Drilling (soil samples?) and other activity.
 #1619826  by bostontrainguy

Now that is interesting. They cleared it once before. There is a video on Youtube for anyone interested below. We all know about Gold Medal but there is also talk about the sewer treatment plant at the end of the line wanting service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFgtS2x ... RailVideos
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1619961  by SOCO11

I saw yesterday that they added stops on the rails so it looks like they are done for now. Added maybe 100 feet. But they are just the bolt on the end of the rail type so maybe more to come...
 #1620078  by New Haven 1

The article below shows that John Pearson, founder of Saltine Warrior, who also happens to be "retired" from the Mass Coastal Railroad, is indeed serious about a rail connection. The article specifically mentions that state "promised" to restore the line for both his business and Gold Medal Bakery. At the time he had applied for grants.

https://www.heraldnews.com/story/busine ... 783845007/

I note the 2017 date of the article but, wonder what the status of that "promise" is and, if there is any documentation to back it up.
 #1620111  by SOCO11

I am sure it has had an impact but salt loading operation in Fall River is still there and has been used- I am not sure how much this winter. Once built it could be used for any bulk barge to rail loading.
 #1620165  by New Haven 1

So, why did the work clearing the tracks toward Gold Medal Bakery and the waste water plant stop?

This article from 2019 provides some clarity.

https://www.heraldnews.com/story/news/2 ... 049057007/

You can't make this stuff up!

I thought it was worth a note to GORAIL. Nothing ventured....
 #1620599  by SOCO11

More clearing this week past the end of in-use track in Fall River. Maybe they will rebuid 100 feet at a time? A clever way to avoid NIMBY interference?
 #1621614  by johnpbarlow

There's a post on the CSX Albany Division FaceBook page showing 2 ex-NS passenger cars heading east near the marker of Selkirk-bound manifest M368-03 captured off the Fairport Live Cam on Friday evening 5/5/23: MCCX 46 & 47. I believe MCCX is a reporting mark for Mass Coastal RR so I'm guessing these cars may be used for Cape Cod Central excursions?

Car #47 (and likely #46, too) was recently sold by Ozark Mountain Railcar: https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEq ... temId=1519
Attachments:
CSX M368 2x Mass Coastal coaches Fairport 050523.JPG
CSX M368 2x Mass Coastal coaches Fairport 050523.JPG (79.87 KiB) Viewed 858 times