Railroad Forums 

• Marion NY branch - some historical notes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1558006  by BR&P

One problem with social media can be the spread of inaccurate information. When dealing with topics such as railroad history, there is a risk that once posted, things can take on a bit of legitimacy. If enough places accept the erroneous info, it can become accepted "fact". So here are some facts from a few decades back which are in danger of becoming twisted.

As background, I am one of the last 4 people on earth who are not on Facebook. :wink: I received a lengthy copy of a Facebook post regarding the Marion Branch, which over time was operated as its own railroad, then by PRR, PC, CR and finally by OMID. The person who sent it to me is likewise not on Facebook and does not even know which group it came from. So I'm going to post the excerpts here, with the factual correction since the info is hopefully interesting to some of us here regardless of why it's being posted.

I might add that I was involved with the startup of OMID, was a part of the management team, and was still there at the time service to Marion came to an end and for about 10 years after that.

Here are some points which are just plain wrong.

1. "The line didn't go out of business because of a lack of freight business....the reason it stopped was because of a bridge...."

That is totally incorrect. The bridge referenced was in the segment which had been rendered unneeded by the construction of the connection to the NYC/PC/CR main line. That connection was built in about 1978. OMID began operations in October 1979. The line remained in operation about 5 years after that bridge saw its last train. The line closed because the costs to operate it could not be met by the revenues of the remaining traffic, and the Marion shippers were unable or unwilling to subsidize the ongoing deficit.

2. "...so the new operator decided to close the line. Some time after that the Marion shippers requested service be restored again so the Ontario Midland was contracted by Wayne county to operate on the right of way...."

That also is not accurate. The Marion line was never "closed". A railroad cannot simply decide to not serve a given line, application for discontinuance must be applied for and granted by the Surface Transportation Board, or previously by the Interstate Commerce Commission. Likewise a new operator must obtain permission to begin operate rail service from those agencies.

3. "A federal grant was then received....which stipulated that a connection be built off of the Penn Central Main Line...."

The connection was built after the formation of Conrail in 1976, but prior to the startup of OMID in October 1979. Thus Penn Central had been absorbed into Conrail a few years before the connection was made.

4. "The host railroad then charges maintenance and access fees at rates determined by the feds..."

Movements across Conrail were billed at a rate agreed to by CR and OMID, which (*IF* I recall correctly) were roughly $118 per one-way trip.

5. "...Conrail used legal tactics to densely [presumed to mean "deny"] access. In other words they purposely created problems for the OM. This effectively ended all rail service to Marion despite a continuing need for it."

That is flat out wrong. The only obstacles OMID encountered in accessing the Marion Branch were a few occasions when Conrail's own needs naturally came first. This may have been when the Dispatcher had need of the Controlled Siding for a meet, or when cars had been parked in such a way that OMID was blocked from getting to or from the connection. These few isolated instances had nothing whatever to do with cessation of service to Marion.

(end of corrections)

It was an interesting line but like so very many others, changing times and economics spelled the end for it.
 #1558208  by D Alex

That's the problem with "railroad lore"; it's often the purview of a bunch of old cranks with failing memories, or sometimes with people who have an axe to grind. It sure sounds like SOMEBODY was miffed when his formerly cheap and reliable connection was lost. The story was probably passed-on secondhand in a bar......
 #1558239  by BR&P

Because of the third-hand nature I almost didn't bother to post the corrections. But decided that by posting, now if someone searches for information on the Marion Branch in the future at least this reference will show up.

I have long advocated on here - and I think the members of this forum do a good job of it - is that if you are speculating or not positive, just say so. Until someone invents a time machine, we sometimes DO have to speculate and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But just say so. Making a flat statement that X is so suggests the speaker is certain that's the case, not guessing.

I hope that years from now, people can look back on my posts and feel that I steered them straight. I try to keep my facts accurate. If my speculations turn out to be wrong, that's fine, but at least people will KNOW it was a guess or a ballpark number and make allowances accordingly.

#1558318  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:36 pm Because of the third-hand nature I almost didn't bother to post the corrections. But decided that by posting, now if someone searches for information on the Marion Branch in the future at least this reference will show up.

I have long advocated on here - and I think the members of this forum do a good job of it - is that if you are speculating or not positive, just say so. Until someone invents a time machine, we sometimes DO have to speculate and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But just say so. Making a flat statement that X is so suggests the speaker is certain that's the case, not guessing.

I hope that years from now, people can look back on my posts and feel that I steered them straight. I try to keep my facts accurate. If my speculations turn out to be wrong, that's fine, but at least people will KNOW it was a guess or a ballpark number and make allowances accordingly.

I'm glad you took the time to post this corrections and for always steering us straight. I wish I could have seen this operation in person, just like so many other lines of this era.

Happy Holidays, I hope you and your better half are well! 🎄

Charlie
 #1558322  by BR&P

Thanks Charlie, and the same to you and yours!

The Marion Branch, like many other interesting rail operations, sadly did not make it into the age of digital photography. Back when you had to buy slide film, hoard your shots, send it away for processing at further expense, then wait and HOPE stuff came out OK, you just didn't accumulate as many pics.

Going to Marion was about a 50/50 proposition whether you went on the ground or not. (in the spring when things were soft, it was almost a sure bet) At one point there was a Marion run almost every Friday. The train crews rotated somewhat, and it seems one of our guys always caught that job. The problem was he was on a pit crew for a stock car and Fridays were "thrash on the car and get it ready for Saturday's race" night. He knew the railroad business and knew we didn't have a choice, but he sure got hot a few times when he got tapped for Marion on the one day he wanted to get out on time! :P Sometimes it worked out for him, other times it didn't. It's safe to say he didn't shed any tears when that part of the operation came to an end.
 #1559677  by Fireman43

Interesting information. thank you. In regards to the 'Bridge". Where was it and its purpose on the Marion line?
I could follow the ROW. a bit coming back out of Marion but closer to Newark it gets lost in the trees.

I also figure Seneca Foods was a customer but alway envisioned a much larger facility. What other customers would have been on this line..

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1405179 ... D100?hl=en

Thanks again. ( count me in also as not being on FB. ). I want nothing to do with Big Brother Tech
Mark
 #1559723  by lvrr325

The bridge's purpose was to cross the main line. The line split off west from the former PRR just before their bridge and ran along the side of East and then West Pearl St before swinging northwest where there is still a bridge over the creek and looks like a short trail on the ROW.

It appears that at one time there were a whole host of customers besides Seneca Foods, the line crossed 21, curved north and ended in multiple sidings in 1969.
 #1559865  by Fireman43

lvrr. - thanks - I was WAYYYYYY. off on my search for the ROW. and this bridge. I was thinking it was in the area where the OMID branches off the Mainline.

Speaking of THAT area - is the bridge heading south from this area over the mainline still in service? It parallels Murray Street then swings east a bit to have served the complex at the end of Country Club Lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0616924 ... !1e3?hl=en

In regards to RR operations - looking at the series of sidings where the OMID heads north from the mainline.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0683688 ... !1e3?hl=en

Would these have been one of many used as one of the passing sidings I had asked about before on anther thread in regards to the coal traffic headed to Sodus point?
One final question - when I worked the Genesee Malthouse at the Point we'd get carloads of barley from the central US and the western providences of Canada. Would Conrail have handed them off to OMID at these sidings?
Many thanks

And yes BR&P when I do a search of the Marion Lone - your Post with updated clarifications is first up!

Mark
 #1560116  by lvrr325

As far as I know it's in service into the small yard area in Newark; what's done beyond that I don't know. In PC days there was another ramp down to a bit of West Shore that ran along the canal.

All interchange with Conrail is done via the ramp connector just north and east of the bridge over the mainline. With the former controlled siding a stub track they may actually set out and pick up from it directly.