Railroad Forums 

• March 2 Hiring Session for Hamlet, NC Conductor

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1253100  by simple

Hey folks, I'm a newbie, been lurking since I started applying for CSX, but have a few questions now that I've been invited to a hiring session and may be in the beginning stages of a new career. It's just that some things I've read about Hamlet yard on the forum have me curious as to whether or not I should make the 3 hour trip to interview.

According to some posts, Hamlet is not a crew based yard, but a switch yard that's all one-man jobs with remotes. I'm not very familiar with RR lingo, so I'm wondering if this means the only conductor jobs there are yard jobs.

I've tried pulling up the seniority district map on CSX's website, but it won't load on my computer. Can you tell me what other yards are in the Hamlet district?

I'm far from thinking I'm above the yard jobs and fully expect that I'll pay my dues if I get hired, but a major incentive for applying at the RR is the possibility of travel. If Hamlet only has yard work, how long does it usually take a green horn to attain the seniority required to transfer out?

Most of the info I've read on Hamlet was posted over 5 years ago. Some say that it was a nightmare because of management and to stay away from the Florence district if you want to keep a job... is it still that bad?

I'd also like to know what the potential is for being furloughed. I know it's a pretty normal thing for the entire company, but it seems like it's a bigger problem up north. Should I expect to be furloughed as soon as my OJT is over, or is it more likely to be during winter/slow months?

I know that's a lot of questions, many of which probably make my lack of knowledge shine, but any answers or advice you could give would be much appreciated.