Railroad Forums 

• Maplewood station on the BR&P/R&S near Rochester?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#90943  by Otto Vondrak

Regarding the old BR&P/B&O/Chessie/RSR line. I have several maps that refer to a station named Maplewood between Scottsville and Rochester... can someone help me pinpoint the location they are referring to?

-otto-

#90969  by nydepot

Maplewood is the intersection of Paul Rd (Rt 252a) and the B&O. This is on the west side of the airport. The crossing still exists. The location was of interest to the former Chili Town Historian, Peter Widener, due to family links to the area. The RR called it Maplewood but the real name was Bealsburg. There was a post office and other businesses at the intersection along with houses. Driving over that crossing now you would never think there was ever something more there.

So many places within 5 miles south of the airport are so different now, you wouldn't think there were actually villages/hamlets there. There are several more south of there on the B&O, like Brookdale and a few on the PRR like Locust Grove Station and Severance. Then just east of the railroads was the whole Ballantyne Bridge area, which still has houses but is not the same as it used to be.

Charles

#91252  by FarmallBob

Otto - Find Maplewood on this 1895 topo:

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/rstr95sw.jpg

Clearly shows a modest settlement in existence back then. As Charles observes not a trace of it exists today.

It's the same deal with Brookdale (on the BR&P) and Whites (on the WNY&PA) a couple miles to the south. ...FB

#91284  by BR&P

Maplewood handled the West Shore interchange with the NYC as well. From my interview with Stephen Gilboy:

"But the West Shore interchange, or transfer, was about the only work there at Maplewood, except train orders.....there wasn't too much work there.....there was a post office in a house a little ways away, and there was a young girl, Molly Glove, used to come over and put the mailbag on the standard, the mail crane they called it."

There was also a brick yard on the east side of the tracks, with a narrow gage railroad in plant, and the foreman used to let Gilboy run the locomotive around sometimes.

#92034  by Otto Vondrak

Interesting how it shows an interchange/yard around the West Shore/PRR connection, and not as much of a development around "West Shore Junction" crossing of the BR&P and the West Shore.

Thanks all for the info!

-otto-

#92062  by nydepot

While the PRR and WS/NYC interchanged there, a lot of the trackage at Genesee Junction was for each railroad's support of their own customers in the area. There was quite substantial interchange tracks and yard facilities at the BR&P/WS crossing. This included the yard itself, a bunk house (early on), and a turntable. The workflow was handled by the NYC operator that sat in the Genesee Junction depot at the PRR crossing. That comes from an NYC operator I talked to. Don already spoke of the billing coming out of Maplewood for the BR&P end of business.

Charles