Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1093521  by Atomsk

As for information on the line from Kenwood to Machanicville, I recently found several pictures in publications by General Railway Signal, that show the CTC machines installed in Albany, around 1937. You can see them at:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/ ... DHCTC2.png
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/ ... DHCTC8.png

I believe the area covered runs from the north end of Union Station to Waterveliet Junction, on the first machine, and from there to Mechanicville on the second. The linr crossing on the right side of the first machine looks line the line coming across Livingston Avenue Bridge.

I've recently seen mention of "the Meneands Team Track", which sounds line the tracks near Broadway. There was also a short branch nine, running northeast from there, to a group of buildings that now form part of the Central Farmers Market, near the current Route 378 overpass on Broadway. Google Earth still shows the ROW of the branch, and the 1955 topo map shows the arrangement of tracks around the terminal. I found many different topo maps and photos of the area at:

http://www.historicaerials.com/
 #1100511  by Engineer Spike

There are more old sidings behind the Mack Truck garage in Menands. I don' know what was there. There is more trackage in the woods south of SG Cabin, east of the main. It looks to go toward the cemetary crossing. On the west side of the main was the steel mill. Further north was Adirondack Foundry.
 #1236315  by foxtrot

The team track by Huck Finn, old Monkey Wards also had a over track crane in later years (I think it came from the area just below Albany Union Station and the REA freight house, which was also where NYC loaded FlexiVans). Remember hoppers in there being and offloaded into bulk carrier truck (dry tanks).

Also adjacent to the North Albany yard were the garage of the "Traction Co" predecessor to CDTA, which prior to buses ran streetcars, tracks were still in some areas in the 1970's. Buildings currently still I think AFD repair shop and reserve truck storage. Also in the area of Schaffer was a liquor distributor which had a rail dock on Tivoli and (?) Pearl. Albany Steel was also located in the area and a American Can plant built at the Schaffer brewery.

Port of Albany had a molasses company, the current Cargill elevators were Barber & Bennett feed. Also in the 70's Port of Albany had a large amount of auto import traffic (?VW). Also Ft. Edwards Express was a truck tank line located in the port.

National Molassess ran brown and cream KWs, Ft. Edward were red and orange Macks, Shaffer out of Albany was all Mack COE painted red with white trailers or cargo box
 #1236316  by foxtrot

The team track by Huck Finn, old Monkey Wards also had a over track crane in later years (I think it came from the area just below Albany Union Station and the REA freight house, which was also where NYC loaded FlexiVans). Remember hoppers in there being and offloaded into bulk carrier truck (dry tanks).

Also adjacent to the North Albany yard were the garage of the "Traction Co" predecessor to CDTA, which prior to buses ran streetcars, tracks were still in some areas in the 1970's. Buildings currently still I think AFD repair shop and reserve truck storage. Also in the area of Schaffer was a liquor distributor which had a rail dock on Tivoli and (?) Pearl. Albany Steel was also located in the area and a American Can plant built at the Schaffer brewery.

Port of Albany had a molasses company, the current Cargill elevators were Barber & Bennett feed. Also in the 70's Port of Albany had a large amount of auto import traffic (?VW). Also Ft. Edwards Express was a truck tank line located in the port.

National Molassess ran brown and cream KWs, Ft. Edward were red and orange Macks, Shaffer out of Albany was all Mack COE painted red with white trailers or cargo box
 #1243707  by Benjamin Maggi

Engineer Spike wrote:There are more old sidings behind the Mack Truck garage in Menands. I don' know what was there. There is more trackage in the woods south of SG Cabin, east of the main. It looks to go toward the cemetary crossing.
This stretch of track included three customers including a tractor dealership and Colonie Beverage. It is the first module I am building, and I have already drawn it out full size in HO scale to make sure it will work. In the background I get to model a cemetary. It will certainly be an interesting stretch of track!