Railroad Forums 

• Manville Local Freight Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#112660  by gravelyfan

About a year ago, Wolfboy posted this statement:

"CSX owns they yard. They have one crew (C761). Conrail SAA has two( WPMA-1, WPMA-2) and NS has one (MA-20)."

Is this still the case? Can anyone confirm time of day and days of operation for these jobs?

Does MA20 go west of Bound Brook on the RVL every night? Is there any business at the Bridgewater Resources site (accessed of the Royce Runner)? Does MA 20 work there?

Which job works the Raritan Valley (RVL) east of Bound Brook - one night a week, right?

I believe MA1 works to the east on the Lehigh Line during the day

Does MA2 handle the Port Reading secondary work? How far east do they go? Daytime or evening?

Related to this, does the BR&W still operate the Union Carbide plant?

Thanks for the info

#112818  by CR80MAC

I'm not totally sure on what the crews are for the trains, but when MA-10 or C761 is on the Trenton Line he is called by his CSX symbol, but when working in Manville he is called by the Conrail symbol.

As for the locals:

MA-1 works industries along the Lehigh Main from Bound Brook to South Plainfield. He will then work South Plainfield Yard for about an hour. After that he usually runs up to Builders General in Cranford which is on #1 track just south of CP Aldene. If he has a complicated move or a lot of work at Harris Steel in South Plainfield he will do that last. MA-1 usually heads out of Manville between 12 and 2 PM. He will run Mon-Fri and will sometimes operate on the weekends.

MA-2 works the Port Reading Secondary in the evening and the NJT Raritan Valley Line at night. He leaves Manville around 3 or 4 PM and heads down the secondary. After this he returns to Manville around 6 or 7 PM. After about a half hour or so of work in Manville he will head back out to the Raritan Valley Line. He heads east first I believe. I'm not quite sure how far east he goes, but he does head east past the Dunellen station. After that work he heads west and works the plastics facility in Finderne. He gets back to Manville about midnight or so. MA-2 runs Mon-Fri.

MA-10 or C761 works only two industries. Reckitt Benckiser and 3M Industries. He does not always work 3M and when he does someone will usually post it on here. C761 usually leaves Manville about 10 AM or so. I think he runs Mon-Fri, but I'm not completely sure.

MA-20 works the BRI transfer which is operated by the Somerset Terminal RR. He usually does this late around midnight or so. I'm not sure if MA-20 has a fixed day to work as I have not heard him consistently work a certain night.

MA-80. Have seen this run only one time on a Saturday. I believe it was just a run from Manville to South Plainfield with 4 cars.

Hope this helps.

Mike
http://cr80mac.rrpicturearchives.net

#112889  by nick11a

Thanks CR! Great info there. MA-2 comes down the RVL once a week, correct? Do you know which day?

#116536  by OCtrainguy

On Monday, while awaiting the circus train to pass in South Plainfield, I saw the MA-1 working. They had PRR 8-40B 4807 & CSX GP40-2 4431. They initially started working in South Plainfield Yard, but not too long. I stayed on the Lehigh Line, making sure I didn’t miss the circus train.

My patience did pay off as the MA-1 came off of the lead to the yard, and approached on the second track there. I was able to get several photos as the train crawled past, shoving some boxcars to a customer down by the signal. Usually, I just see them working within the yard, so this was a first for me. After the circus train and CSX Q191 passed by, they headed back to retrieve some more cars left by the yard lead before heading east on the main line. It was an interesting few hours and I’m looking forward to see how the photos turned out!