• Mamaroneck industrial spur

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by MP 0.1

Was there always the industrial spur into Mamaroneck leading eastbound off the inbound local track, and if so, how did it cross the NYW&B's tracks?

If it came after the end of the Westchester, does anyone know in what year it was constructed?

Thanks, Paul

by Otto Vondrak

Paul- sorry I didnt see your question earlier.

That spur existed BEFORE the NYWB was built alongside the NH main. The NH crossed the NYWB on straight diamonds. The diamonds were protected by block signals. There was an interlocking nearby that allowed trains to crossover. A tower near Rockland Avenue controlled the movements. After the NYWB was removed, the interlocking remained and ws controlled from PIKE tower. The spur is still switched by CSX today.

If you buy my new book, it has a detailed map and explanation of the crossover at Mamaroneck.

http://nywbry.com/forgotten/

-otto-

by MP 0.1

Otto,

Thanks for the reply. My copy of your book arrived yesterday and it looks terrific.

Paul

by Jeff Smith

Otto,

I don't know if any of your research turned this up, since you're book was on forgotten railroads. At one time, pre-electrification, I believe the NH ran at grade through Mamaroneck. I was wondering if the "Marval" spur at one point may have approximated the main-line route, maybe along Hoyt Ave (before the viaduct was built)? The terrain is somewhat flatter on the north side (we used to actually call that area "the flats").

Thanks,

Jeff
  by Jeff Smith

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I have a question on the scope of operations at this yard.

1. Curious as to whether any of our newer posters with copies or original track maps can answer my earlier question on the NH once running at grade through Mamaroneck (i.e. pre-viaduct, and old Mamaroneck station before the current (or should I say "former") station building.

2. In relation to 1., the current Marval industrial track ends where Blood Brothers auto wreckers was formerly located (that parcel has been cleared but as far as I know remains undeveloped). Would this have been the at-grade tracks? I find that doubtful but really can't discern where the tracks may have been.

3. During the NH's operation of this yard, how extensively was the yard utilized? I seem to remember quite a few more tracks back along Railroad Way, and it wasn't solely for Marval or its predecessors, if any, on the east side of Fenimore. Since the area west of Fenimore was a public street (RR Way), I remember walking along it, and seeing many more box cars and not just hoppers. Did the area west of Fenimore have team or bulk tracks? I remember at one point there may have been a lumber yard back there; what type of industry is left back there?

Thanks in advance.
  by Jeff Smith

Did some research using Travelsonic's map link: Historic Map Works

It must have been quite a busy little yard at one point (oh, say 1929?). I don't know how long that lasted and I'd still like to now how busy it was through the end of the NH era through PC and Conrail, but it's interesting to see. I spent a lot of time walking around down there through the 60's and 70's.