• Major Derailment for NS

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by kevikens

Local Phila. news is reporting a major derailment along the ex-Reading now NS main line between Phila. and Reading near Merion. According to reports the mud slide not only derailed two locomotives and two cars but it is feared that continuing mud slides from recent heavy rains could completely undermine the rail bed. The line is presently shut down but where that heavy traffic is going is not mentioned. Perhaps it is being diverted to CSX's Trenton Line or south to Perryville and the Port road. I am surprised that more about this has not already appeared as a shut down of this line is going to have a major impact on freight traffic

by charlie6017

I wonder if this will result in some extra New York-bound traffic over the Southern Tier line?

by ANDY117

What about more traffic? I wonder if this will get NS to run more trains over the Tier permanently, seeing as how none actually go the whole way any more.

by Off Pending

ANDY117 wrote:What about more traffic? I wonder if this will get NS to run more trains over the Tier permanently, seeing as how none actually go the whole way any more.
Ummmm ... why would a derailment outside of Philadelphia cause NS to reroute traffic over the Southern Tier? None of the NY/NJ to points west trains were affected. The derailment was between Abrams and Philly.

At best, the only disruptions outside of the Philadelphia-Harrisburg corridor might be the Allentown-Philly stuff ... but even a routing over the Tier wouldn't fix that one.

I don't see how the Tier even comes into play on this one.

by nsrayman

video of it on foxnews.com

by Nickelplated Hustler

charlie6017 wrote:I wonder if this will result in some extra New York-bound traffic over the Southern Tier line?
The Southerntier is dead, Port Jervis will never light up again as far as NS is concerned.