Railroad Forums 

• Mainline Misadventure on the River Line, 8/04......

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#49574  by rcbsd45

Well, another week has come and gone, ands with it comes some new tales of fun anf frolic on the River line. The events below took place last week, so pardon the delay. They start on Last wednesday night/Thursday AM. so relax and enjoy this latest edition of Mainline Misadventures.....
The first chapter takes us northbound on Q109, departing North bergen at 12:20 AM, Saturday, August 28th. We left the yard almost 25 minutes ahead of schedule(scheduled departure from North Bergen is 12:45AM), and got off to a good start. we were told to pull into the siding at Nyack, as we would be waiting for one southbound, Q439, at CP-26. We pulled up to the north end of the siding, which allowed the Q159 to pull in behind us.
It is now 12:50AM, and we are still in good shape timewise. We soon learn however, that the trip is about to go down the toilet. The Q439, with four units and well over 100 cars and 12,000 tons comes to a grinding halt uphill at MP 32. For those not familiar, the river line has a passing track at CP-22 to CP-26 and CP 35 to CP-35. Seems the first unit is OK, the second isn't loading, the third unit is shut down with no water(despite having come out of the engine shop that previous day!). Several attempts to restart one additional engine and limp up the hill are unsuccessful. So, the dispatcher decided that Q160, a UPS train southbound that is closing in on the area will simply couple up and shove the 439 over the hill, from MP 32 to MP 29(approx.) The 160 shows up, couples and shoves, breaks away and the 439 is now over the hill and passes us at CP-26. It is now 4:25AM! the 160 eventually passes, and we eventually go north, reaching Selkirk at about 6:55am, off duty at 7:10am.
After the required minimum rest, we are back on duty on Thursday afternoon at 3:10pm with Q409. We eventually get out of the yard and after the Q100 gets around us we pull into Kingston, stopping on the main track waiting for one northbound on short time, a set of light engines returning from dropping a coal train. it is now 8:30PM, and the DS tells me he doesn't know whats gonna happen to us down below as there is no outbound crew available to take the train from North Bergen to Baltimore. We simply figure as we are 100 miles away, its too soon to guess what will happen. We eventually head south and are placed into the siding at Havestraw(MP 34, between CP 33 and CP 35). it is now 9:50PM. We soon learn that we are to take the train to Teaneck, MP 9, and tie the train down in the siding there and then taxi back to our sign off point, but we are waiting for Q161 to come north first.
The Q161 gets a "hit" on the hotbox dectector at orangeburg(MP 20.5), and pulls the train into the siding at Nyack(CP-22). The conductor then starts walking back to the affected axle, and eventually inspect the situation. Well, as it turns out, this conductor found the axle, but wasn't sure what to do( a "newbie"). We can hear the DS's side of the conversation(even though we're 8 miles north. Eventually, it is decided that the car has to be set out. The conductor is ordered to make a cut behind the affected car, pull north of CP-26 on the single track, and then ride the car back to the first siding, which is at MP 22.5, and set the car off. A tricky move, but there are no other options. This maneuver is performed, albeit slowly. the 161 is eventually back together. it is now 2:40AM!!! We blow up at 3:10, and the Q162 is now in the siding behind us. Sufice to say, there are northbounds and southbounds backed up all over the place.
Eventually, the 162 is backed out of the siding behind us(after the 161 goes by us), and we then hop the trailing unit of the 162 for the ride back to our sign up point at North Bergen. it is now 3:30AM, and the Q162 crew outlaws at 4:45AM. We then ride to Nyack where we are put into the siding for 6 northbounds!(Q174, 159, 273, 418, 165, 109, not necessasrily in that order) we FINALLY get the OK to head south from CP-22 at 4:55AM, with a "Think ya can make it to CP-3 in time?" from the DS. "Sure we can! Just give us the green!" so with 50 MPH track, we take off from CP-22 arriving at CP-3(North Bergen) at 5:40AM, 10 minutes before the 162 outlaws!
My conductor and I get into our cars and go home, making it off duty at 6:10AM, 15 hours on duty!! The 162 crew is awaiting a jitney to their sign up point, Port Newark. I found out later their ride was another hour away! It should be noted that several trains outlawed that night, and with crews an a bare minimum, it was looking realistically for the River line to have several outlawed trains all over the main with no rested crews, thus becoming a 132 mile parking lot. I believe several trains were left to rot, but most did move, but between the 161's troubles, varous track circuts requiring restricted speed operations as trains had to "run reds" for several miles, its no wonder the DS was reaching for his second bottle of Maaloxx by the end of his shift! A classic tale indeed! Look for more MM's as they occur from your embedded reporter! Until Next time.....

RCB

#49622  by trainfreak

Sounds like an interesting trip. Good luck out on the road.

#49672  by O-6-O

If they ever double track the River Line these stories won't be nearly
as interesting as they are. Here's my vote for keepin it single. Keep
those tales coming.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#49732  by Butlershops

I still don't understand why we cannot have passenger service on the River Line. The passengers would be sooooo happy. :wink:

#49875  by trainfreak

I bet even if they did have the line double tracked that CSX would still find a way to make things interesting while running it.