Railroad Forums 

• Mainline action

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #211127  by mwichten

I thought that I was slick getting some pics today, not my best work, but here they are:

268/271 E/B @ KO with a nice consist of mixed freight.

Approaching the station area

1st crossing E/O KO Yard

At YA making up the train - after dropping off at Georgia Pacific and setting the string of gondolas

"Three lengths to go..."

About to make the connection

Connected

#211155  by Legio X

Good work. Freight railroading on L.I. isn't always the nice, sunny days at the old tower in Bethpage with Emfinite, who's work is alsovery good.

#211157  by Legio X

Who are these gondolas at Yaphank for? Actually, besides Georgia-Pacific, who are the other Yaphank customers?
 #211167  by mwichten

I don't think there are any for the team track right now, the gons appear to be staging there. I only get out there once every month or so, there does not appear to be any transload activity related to the gons.

The other forum gurus would know better.

#211190  by emfinite

When I got that itch to see a freight on a rainy, stormy day, I'm out there!

I think those are Gershow gondolas. The engines have to run around the rest of the train, so that's why you see the gons in the siding. Not too many customers in Yaphank. Just the lumber guy and Arriva Concrete.

mwitchen, Are you the guy with the three kids that was at Yaphank a few weeks back taking pictures? Still trying to find out who that was...

Joe
 #211207  by mwichten

Emfinite,

The crew set out the gons, reconnected and went further east. Maybe they picked them up on the way back before hitting Gershow?

I will be in Yaphank tomorrow, I will let you know if they are still there.

No, that was not me. Why is everyone giving me kids lately? :)

#211216  by tushykushy

MW, when they have to go to places like Riverhead and Southold, they leave most of their train at YA and only go with what they need. It's usually just lumber and gas that go out to those places. Those tank cars were for Paraco Gas in Riverhead.

#211310  by jayrmli

I knew we were being watched today. A lovely day to be railroading, BTW. The rain suit came in handy.

The gons were for Gershow. However, no one from the office bothered to find out if they were ready for a switch, so they just turned into empty cars along for the ride for the day.

Jay