Railroad Forums 

• Maine Narrow Gauge Museum Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1411859  by MEC407

Who knows what could happen in a few years. It might be good or it might be bad. If you can do it in 2017, do it in 2017. It might be your last chance to ride a 2-footer within spitting distance of a busy Atlantic harbor!
 #1411881  by Mikejf

I would also suggest you do it. Contact the SRRL folks and see what they have going on that weekend. The line is short, so it can be walked if you are able and they are not running.
Once MNGRR starts to move, things will be in disarray for a few years, until they get settled again.
 #1427942  by MEC407

Sad news about a MNGRR colleague:
Portland Press Herald wrote:WATERVILLE — A Portland resident involved in a single-vehicle crash Thursday on Mayflower Hill Drive on the Colby College campus has died, according to police.

Donovan M. Gray, 68, of Portland was a well-known supporter of the arts, particularly in the Northwest, and was a volunteer conductor and engineer for the Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. and Museum in Portland.

Donnell Carroll, executive director of Narrow Gauge, said Friday that Gray was a dedicated volunteer for about 10 years but had to cut back on his work the last couple of years because of health problems. He loved to teach people about trains and was well-liked and respected, according to Carroll.

“He would routinely volunteer for at least a day or two, if not more, a week, to make sure the train was covered,” Carroll said. “He took some leadership roles in train operations and oversight and did a lot of training and education for new people on the board.”
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/14/p ... y-college/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1447243  by MEC407

elecuyer wrote:Dual gauging has been discussed...
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic, ... ml#msg4682
I remember having this conversation 15+ years ago with several staff and volunteers at MNGRR. (It was a serious conversation, not an April Fools joke.) The idea was that the Back Cove swing bridge would eventually be rebuilt (or repaired just enough to make it safe for 2-footers to use it), and a third rail would be laid so that MNGRR could cross the bridge and run from Portland to Yarmouth Junction, giving MNGRR the ability to offer a longer excursion and an opportunity to let the steam locos stretch their legs at 10 or even 25 MPH. It became a slightly-less-crazy idea when SLR sold that line to the state of Maine, and even less crazy now that SLR no longer runs to Portland. Still very pie-in-the-sky, of course, but it was wonderful to daydream about it.
 #1447575  by eustis22

I dunno. We toured the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum this past weekend (guest engineered on one of the Plymouths) and I suspect it will lose something not running on an old ROW. Found the reason the museum moving is that they're condoizing the waterfront there (Come To Oil Tank Harbor Place!). Maybe spend the money kicking the yuppies out and rebuilding the GT bridge for longer narrow gauge travels.
 #1447923  by flyingfox10

They are relocating to Gray, on an old standard gauge trolley line. So they are transfering from one standard gauge line to another. Only two operations in Maine operate on original narrow gauge right of ways, the WW&F and the SR&RL. However an honorable mention is the Albion Historical Society that has some rebuilt narrow gauge track in front of an original two story station. And the Monson R.R. freight house in Monson with a few hundred feet of track in front of the original station.
 #1447941  by flyingfox10

In the WW&F discussion things have transfered to Maine Narrow Gauge, so I have decided to post here to bring this topic closer to the top.

Not really knowing what the details are, I have heard the plan is still to move to Gray, its just a matter of raising the needed funds to relocate while trying to maintain the current museum. However like many groups, volunteer effort can be a challenge. The move to Gray will be a rather expensive one, especially with the desire to build everything with contractor help. Although things may be progressing slowly, with no public announcements on the move in over a year, I am pretty sure progress is still being made in one form or another.
 #1447948  by MEC407

Yes, that is still the plan.

I recently spoke with a friend who is actively involved in the day-to-day goings-on at MNGRR, and he told me that not everyone there agrees with the decision to move to Gray. He said there are many who feel it's a mistake.