Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Railroad to Lime Ridge, Québec

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#711531  by b&m 1566

I'm would like to gather some information about the Maine Central line to Lime Ridge, Québec; who built it, when was in abandoned and such? I sometimes get the impression that this line has been forgotten about when talking about Maine Centrals’ history. I know part of the line became the North Strafford Railroad operating to Beecher Falls, VT but where did the inter change take place, Québec Junction? Are than any photos of the Maine Central Railroad operating on this line?
 #711788  by ferroequinarchaeologist

See if you can find a copy of
Johnson, Ron; Maine Central R.R. Mountain Division, 470 Railroad Club.

Briefly: The Hereford Railway was built from Beecher Falls, VT into Canada to Cookshire, PQ, where it crossed the CP, then Dudswell Junction where it crossed the Quebec Central, on to Lime Ridge.

PBM
 #711982  by trainsinmaine

The MEC abandoned the Lime Ridge branch north of Beecher Falls in 1927, IIRC (I'd have to look it up). The CP purchased the segment of the line that extended from Sawyerville to Lime Ridge, as there was a mill in Sawyerville that needed a rail link to the CP main. That segment continued in operation until 1973 or thereabouts.

I've never traced the entire line, but I understand much of it is in remarkably good condition and is even driveable.