• Maine Central Railroad Company Archives (MEC)

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by steveh

b
Last edited by steveh on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by wolfmom69

Ha Ha! Yeah Right! Unlike the B&MRR Historical Society,that had 15 years or so to accumulate B&M stuff,before Guilford's gobbling them up,this was NOT the case for the MEC! I've heard rumors,of the General Office building in Portland being pretty well "cleaned out" with runs to the dump around 1982. The old MEC was pretty lenient in giving away "non financial" paperwork. A former girlfriend worked their many(too many) years ago,and told the executive she worked for,that I was interested in trains and was a teacher,so he let her have some old rule books,engineering info etc. I sadly sold these, a few years later to a well heeled collector. Then,it seemed until recently,that virtually every old MEC item that came up for auction on eBay,went to a collector,or investor in your home state,as this guy would out bid everyone. This dude must have quite an archive!!! Wish I had better info,and the Maine State Archives in Augusta,has very little "stuff",most of it on pre MEC lines prior to 1862. You might go on the "470 Club" website for a more accurate answer than I am giving. In short,there is nothing for the MEC,that compares say to the B&M ,New Haven,Rutland,or D&H Historical Societies. It is sad. Good Luck. Bud :(
  by gokeefe

I am very pleased this evening to report the following find:

In the process of researching more information about the exact incorporated status of the Maine Central Railroad I came across the following listing in the special collections of the Fogler Library at the University of Maine in Orono, ME.
Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
September 2004

Introduction and Summary Information

Collection Title: Maine Central Railroad Company Records.
Dates of the Collection: 1850-1963 (inclusive); 1880-1920 (bulk).
Provenance: Gift of Guilford Transportation Industries in 1984; purchases in 2002-2004.
Collection Number: MS 309.
Box Numbers: 1-11 (formerly Ledgers M285, M285a, new accessions 2002-0705e, 2002-0729d, 2002-0801c, 2003-0128c, 2003-0206b, 2004-0421c, 2004-0513d).
Size and Arrangement: The collection consists of 10 archival record cartons and one document box of material (15 cubic feet) + 55.5 linear feet of ledgers.
Conservation Note: The collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes. Documents have been surface cleaned as needed and metal fasteners removed.
Preferred Citation: Maine Central Railroad Company Records, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine.
Restrictions on Access and Use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Please click on the link to the listing for an exhaustive description of the archival content.

Although by no means can one say that the records of the Maine Central Railroad have been preserved fully intact, to include technical drawings etc. This is the first mention I am aware of regarding this collection ever on railroad.net.
  by gokeefe

As a coda to wolfmom69's post of August 25, 2004 I would draw especial attention of the reader to the following:
Provenance: Gift of Guilford Transportation Industries in 1984...
This and the acronym free title of the thread lead me to post this information here with my apologies to steveh.
  by gokeefe

Yet another treasure of records related to the Maine Central Railroad is also located at the Fogler Library at the University of Maine in Orono:
Arranged and described by Brenda Howitson Steeves
Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department
May 2004

Introduction and Summary Information

Collection Title: Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad Company Records.
Dates of the Collection: 1847-1870 (inclusive); 1850-1856 (bulk).
Provenance: These records came to the Special Collections Department, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine as a gift in 1974.
Collection Number: MS 19.
Box Numbers: 1-2 (formerly Box 399).
Size and Arrangement: The collection consists of two document boxes of material
(1 cubic foot).
Conservation Note: The collection has been re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes. Documents have been surface cleaned as needed.
Preferred Citation: Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad Company Records, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine.
Restrictions on Access and Use: Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
  by gokeefe

Some of the earliest information and records of the Maine Central Railroad Company are also located at the Brown Library of the Maine Historical Society, located at 489 Congress Street, Portland, ME.
Maine Central Railroad records and station drawings 1837–1952

Based on the description and location this would appear to a very likely location for the original station drawings for Portland Union Station.
  by gokeefe

The University of Massachusetts at Lowell, Center for Lowell History located in the Patrick J. Mogan Cultural Center, 40 French Street, Lowell, MA, houses the Archives of the Boston & Maine Railroad Society.

Although it shouldn't be surprising that certain Maine Central Railroad Company records are preserved there (due to their business partnership) the exact materials are detailed here:
Although the primary focus of the collection is documentary material pertaining to the B&M RR and its corporate predecessors, the collection includes materials pertaining to the history of other New England railroads and electric railroads (trolley lines). The collection is comprised of paper items and photographs. Some of the photos and documents in the collection date back to the mid 1800's, though most of the collection is 20th Century. It is particularly strong in the area of mechanical drawings for hardware used in locomotives and rolling stock, and in the area of track maps of the Boston & Maine and Maine Central Railroads. There are also a large number of books and magazines on railroading and model railroading.
Periodicals:
Of primary interest are back issues of the B&M RR Bulletin, a magazine format rich in historical articles complimented by high-quality photographs of the Boston & Maine and its predecessor railroads. There is a fairly complete collection of the "B&M Employees' Magazine", and a collection of the employees' magazine for the Maine Central RR as well. Other periodicals include Trains; Railroad; Railroad History; National Railway Bulletin; Railroad Enthusiast; Pool's Manual; Moody's Manual; Official Railway Guide and others too numerous to mention.
Annual Reports:
Available are the annual reports by the Directors of the B&M RR to the stockholders. Reports from1878 to1885, and 1917 to 1960 are somewhat complete. Some annual reports of B&M predecessor railroads are included. Annual reports done for the Interstate Commerce Commission are also available.

The reports are from the B&M, the Maine Central and the Portland Terminal RR. Unlike the reports to stockholders, these contain a great deal of additional financial data and operating statistics in a format specified by the ICC, covering 1940's to1960' s.
  by gokeefe

The B&M Railroad Historical Society published "A Guide to the Boston & Maine Railroad Historical Archives" of which the 7th edition is online at the link. Further detail on the Maine Central Railroad Company Records at the B&MRRHS is provided:
L. Annual Reports. Railroad company annual reports to stockholders are filed under the M3118
classification in the vertical files and in the locked cabinet near the emergency exit. During the
summer of 1983, an important addition to the collection was made in the form of copies of a large
group of B&M, Maine Central and Portland Terminal Railroad annual reports that were submitted to
the Interstate Commerce Commission. Unlike the versions published for stockholders and the
public, these reports contain a great deal of additional financial data and operating statistics in a
format specified by the ICC. These reports cover approximately the 1940s to 1960s. They are filed in
Row D.
I. Track maps. ... In February 1989, the Society acquired a set of Valuation Plans in ink-on-linen format
covering the entire Maine Central Railroad (except the narrow gauge lines). These
plans are stored in the flat files and at our storage facility.