Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Business Car #333

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1327257  by gokeefe

Further information from the Pullman Library at the Illinois Railway Museum:

Per official records: Nituna was built in 1923, Lot 4765, Plan 7036 for R. T. Crane, Jr.
 #1401862  by gokeefe

Interesting catch in this aerial photo. Possible sighting of Lone Tree parked on its own on a bumper track by the main office on St. John Street.

The photo reminded me of this one. Based on the ground conditions I think it could be the same location.
 #1404253  by gokeefe

gokeefe wrote:Stunning description of MEC #333 Lone Tree contained in the following article. The article is on the http://www.railmerchants.net website, in a sub section detailing the restoration of Conrail #4 while in Private Varnish status. Article is quoted here for posterity as it will probably be lost if changes are ever made to the http://www.railmerchants.net website.
NYC #4/ex- CR #4 "America" is listed as "for sale" ... this car was owned by Mr. Raymond Rich at the time of his purchase of the Maine Central. His journey and the encounter with MEC #333 are detailed earlier in this thread. There is a remarkable photo gallery of this car online.
 #1444721  by A215

For what it's worth this car was pulled out of the shops in Waterville Tuesday and Wednesday. 2 suits were looking at it. It now says Springfield Terminal 333. Looks like the original green.
 #1557110  by backroadrails

Per a post in another thread, MEC 333 was pulled out of the shop. I went to the original Facebook post and from what was mentioned in the comments, the car has been sold along with the 332 and the Guilford stainless car outback of Waterville.
 #1568346  by MEC407

Copied from the Pan Am forum:
NYC27 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 pm PAR has parted ways with the 333/322 duo. It would have been cool to reunite the 573 with this pair but the Conway Scenic wasn’t that interested. The 322 May wind up in Thomaston, CT when all is said and done.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=0&key2=
 #1568360  by gokeefe

It was put on there many years ago ... I can now comfortably share the secret that I was privleged to be granted a tour of the car several years ago. It is in amazingly good condition inside right down to the original "Crane" plumbing fixtures which would have been from the first owners who were the Crane family. Most of the interior condition issues are very minor water damage and paint deterioration. Original mahogany trim throughout along with original fittings, hardware and partitions. Quite a bit of the crystal dating back at least to the Maine Central business car period was also present.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1570251  by gokeefe

I'm thankful they're being preserved in Northern New England.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1583947  by BM1566GP7

Anyone have an update on any work done at the Hobo RR on the tws MEC business cars? These cars were stored under cover many years at Waterville, That is unlikely at Lincon, as undercover storage is limited at best,