Railroad Forums 

• Maine Bullet

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #913363  by chnhrr

The ‘Maine Bullet’ initially provided crack freight service to and from the New England’s most northern state. Most skeptical Mainers would have questioned the logic of such a service, especially when it came to the delivery of potatoes to New York markets. What would they get in return that they needed that quickly? I have the following questions:

1) Did the transition of motive power occur at Cedar Hill?
2) Which steam and diesel locomotive types would have provided power after New Haven?
3) I assume the Boston and Maine took over from Boston; however did the Maine Central take the trains further into the state?
4) What other fast freight service trains did the New Haven provide?

The photo shows the inauguration of service in the 1920's.
 #913377  by Noel Weaver

When M-6 and M-7 operated out of New York they had electric locomotives either the "jeeps" otherwise known as EF-1's or later on 150 class EF-3's otherwise known as "streamliners". Out of Cedar Hill in the steam days most likely power was "R" class 4-8-2's, the diesels took over between Cedar Hill and Worcester in the early to mid 40's. I worked these trains many years ago in my firing days on the New Haven Railroad and they were indeed "HOT TRAINS".
These trains ran between Portland, Maine (Rigby Yard) and at various times to Cedar Hill, Harlem River and/or Bay Ridge depending on the period. Biggest commodity was paper and potatoes out of Maine. The trains hauled all sorts of freight to Rigby as well. Both M-6 and M-7 were noted as long and heavy trains. They usually ran non-stop in both directions between Worcester and Cedar Hill and between Cedar Hill and New York points.
Noel Weaver
 #913435  by TomNelligan

3) I assume the Boston and Maine took over from Boston;
These trains did not run via Boston. As you can see from Noel's message above, the B&M interchange was at Worcester. North of there, the B&M freight route to Portland was via Ayer, Lowell, and Lawrence, avoiding the terminal congestion around Boston.
 #913451  by Ocala Mike

Was this routing the same one used by the State of Maine overnight passenger run between Portland and GCT? Did it give rise to that service, or did the State of Maine precede it?
 #913494  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote:When M-6 and M-7 operated out of New York they had electric locomotives either the "jeeps" otherwise known as EF-1's or later on 150 class EF-3's otherwise known as "streamliners". Out of Cedar Hill in the steam days most likely power was "R" class 4-8-2's, the diesels took over between Cedar Hill and Worcester in the early to mid 40's. I worked these trains many years ago in my firing days on the New Haven Railroad and they were indeed "HOT TRAINS".
These trains ran between Portland, Maine (Rigby Yard) and at various times to Cedar Hill, Harlem River and/or Bay Ridge depending on the period. Biggest commodity was paper and potatoes out of Maine. The trains hauled all sorts of freight to Rigby as well. Both M-6 and M-7 were noted as long and heavy trains. They usually ran non-stop in both directions between Worcester and Cedar Hill and between Cedar Hill and New York points.
Noel Weaver
Noel- what was the routing between Cedar Hill and Worcester? Did they run over the Air Line all the way to Putnam?
 #913535  by TomNelligan

Was this routing the same one used by the State of Maine overnight passenger run between Portland and GCT?
Yes as regards the B&M portion of the route between Portland and Worcester. On the NH, the State of Maine operated via Providence (using the P&W line) in its later years, although I believe that at one time earlier it was routed via Norwich and the N&W. I'm sure Noel can supply details from his timetable connection.
Noel- what was the routing between Cedar Hill and Worcester? Did they run over the Air Line all the way to Putnam?
The Maine Bullet ran between Worcester and New Haven via Norwich, not via Willimantic.
 #913590  by edbear

Symbol Book #86, 9/30/51 has the Bullet operating from Worcester to Putnam & Hartford to Bay Ridge. Symbol Book #71, 4/27/41 calls the train N-1, joint with B & M, Worcester-Cedar Hill via Norwich, R-3 or L-1 engine, limited to 5,500 tons, 125 cars.
 #913601  by Noel Weaver

M-6 and M-7 were the trains knowns as the "Maine Bullet". N-1 and P-2 were other trains between Cedar Hill and Worcester via the Norwich Branch and both N-1 and P-2 made stops and worked at various points.
The Hartford routing may have been in use in 1941 but it was not in later years nor for most of the existance of M-6 and M-7.
Passenger service between New Haven and Worcester could and did use any one of four different routes, New Haven - Worcester via Hartford, Willimantic and Putnam; via Middletown, Willimantic and Putnam; via Norwich and Putnam or finally via Providence. I have timetables showing through trains on each of these routes. There was also a fifth route via Springfield but that involved the B & A.
Noel Weaver