Railroad Forums 

• Main and Bergen County Freight Ops

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#82562  by riffian

Lately have seen the Bergen County line local frieght on several occasions. It seems to turn at Broadway- Fair Lawn and return to ?? (Croxton I'm guessing). what is the symbol on this NS local frieght? The local out of Suffern, H55, works the Main Line daily to Paterson....does it go further? Finally, which side does the Allentown to Campbell Hall freight use? I see the power tied up at Campbell Hall and it is usually three big units, many times UP SD-70s. Does anyone have any idea of the times on this train, its usual routine and its symbol. Do crews work through from Allentown to Campbell Hall? Thanks in advance for any information for what I realize are a lot of questions.......Bill Root
 #82711  by sullivan1985

riffian wrote:Lately have seen the Bergen County line local frieght on several occasions. It seems to turn at Broadway- Fair Lawn and return to ?? (Croxton I'm guessing). what is the symbol on this NS local frieght? The local out of Suffern, H55, works the Main Line daily to Paterson....does it go further? Finally, which side does the Allentown to Campbell Hall freight use? I see the power tied up at Campbell Hall and it is usually three big units, many times UP SD-70s. Does anyone have any idea of the times on this train, its usual routine and its symbol. Do crews work through from Allentown to Campbell Hall? Thanks in advance for any information for what I realize are a lot of questions.......Bill Root
The train comes up out of croxton on a monday to suffern to serve hillburn yard. The train goes down the Main Line to server Paterson and sometimes Omega Plastics way down in lyndhurst and returns to suffern for the return trip later that night. The cycle begins again every two days.

Sorry, not sure about the power used up in that area. Usually all i see is a NS GP38 paired with a Conrail GP38 or sometimes a Conrail SW1500.
 #82756  by MikeW

There is a company on Pennsylvania Ave. thats gets a couple of tanks of motor oil. I don't know how often but I have seen NS spoting the tanks.
 #82839  by riffian

"The train comes up out of croxton on a monday to suffern to serve hillburn yard. The train goes down the Main Line to server Paterson and sometimes Omega Plastics way down in lyndhurst and returns to suffern for the return trip later that night. The cycle begins again every two days.

Sorry, not sure about the power used up in that area. Usually all i see is a NS GP38 paired with a Conrail GP38 or sometimes a Conrail SW1500."

Thanks for the info......does this mean that the same job handles both BCL and the Main Line? So I'm guessing it works North to Suffern, then makes a round trip down the Main Line, then goes off duty at Suffern. The next morning to head back to Croxton. Is this correct?
 #82855  by MikeW

I should Have stated this before. The Company that get the tanks of motor oil in on Pennsylvania Ave. in Lyndhurst.
 #83320  by sullivan1985

riffian wrote:"The train comes up out of croxton on a monday to suffern to serve hillburn yard. The train goes down the Main Line to server Paterson and sometimes Omega Plastics way down in lyndhurst and returns to suffern for the return trip later that night. The cycle begins again every two days.

Sorry, not sure about the power used up in that area. Usually all i see is a NS GP38 paired with a Conrail GP38 or sometimes a Conrail SW1500."

Thanks for the info......does this mean that the same job handles both BCL and the Main Line? So I'm guessing it works North to Suffern, then makes a round trip down the Main Line, then goes off duty at Suffern. The next morning to head back to Croxton. Is this correct?
correct... Lyndhurst Draw is as far east as NS is allowed to go, then it is strictly NJT trackage where frieght is not allowed. As far as I know, Omega Plastics (housed in what used to be the DLW Engine Shops) is the furthest east customer on the line which gets a lot of closed hoppers of plastic pellots.