Railroad Forums 

• Mahopac- what were these tracks used for?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#81094  by Hank

I lived in Mahopac in the 70's. There were tracks behind Fullmar Road. I came upon them one day with my cousin. Behind his house there was wood and we walked a short distance and came upon the tracks. If you would just cross the tracks and continue to walk through the woods you would walk right onto Fullmar Road School property. Does anyone know what these tracks were used for? I know Mahopac was a mining town.
I know that the Old Put Line ran through town.

Hank

#81505  by JBlaisdell

I'm not familiar with Mahopac. Was the school ever a state institution? Every one (prison, psych, etc) I've encountered once had rail service, even if the line was 1/4-1/2 mile away.

#81510  by Spro

The tracks behind Fulmar road, in the 70's it was just a right of way, was where the Putnam Divison ran between Mahopac and Carmel. as you traveled north from there you crossed Shear Hill road, then under weber hill road. That's where the Cement truck went through the old wooden bridge. Then the tracks crossed weber hill again at grade and swung towards the Croton river, crossed Drewville road, real high up, then crossed the croton river and then came out and ran parallel to RT6. at lake Gleneida by the old Lloyds lumber. This is all now a paved bike path. Except the crossing of the croton river, becasue the New York City DEC is being stubborn about allowing a crane back there to lift the bridge.

Put

#81731  by Tom Curtin

The question that started this thread is almost certainly the Putnam ROW, which was probably in place in the 70s --- well, some of the 70s anyway.
 #81775  by oakpoint

There was a line that served the Tilly Foster Mine up there long ago.
The book on the Putnam division may shed some light on this.

Charles D