Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1598525  by RandallW

Silverliner II wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 pm
west point wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:38 am Cannot imagine the problems adding platforms on active tracks.
It's not really a problem, since they're working to the side of the ROW... no island platforms involved. It all came down to available funding at the time.
Wouldn't extending the platform introduce slow orders and track outages even for side platforms? It seems to me that not coordinating all that well in advance on an only 2 track section of the NEC can impact scheduling throughout the entire NEC.
 #1598546  by 8th Notch

No slow orders would be necessary for platform work, they aren’t touching the track any. New high level on track 2 at Ruggles, track 1 at Clinton, as well as 2 full high level platforms going in at Pawtucket R.I were put in with no disruption to train traffic.
 #1598594  by BandA

Presumably, you can pre-fabricate the platforms outside the danger zone then move them into place with a crane or a bobcat. Then you only need to shut the track during the placement, I speculate.
 #1598620  by 8th Notch

There’s no need, they have constructed multiple new platforms from the ground up on site without taking the track OOS. All that’s needed is a flag and some foul time (which is what they have been doing at night to put in current new platforms on the Shoreline).
 #1598634  by BandA

Sometimes the methods used in work areas are amazing. Such as those bridge plates they used to span oos or being worked on tracks (along the New Haven Line). Never seen anything like them on the MBTA. Years ago, perhaps 30, I saw a segment from NHK News (Japan) about how they built temporary platforms overnight, I think for their Shinkansen lines. Basically stacked blocks of styrofoam, then put a resiliant cover over them for people to walk on. Kind of like a floating lake dock.

The less time workers are fouling the tracks the better and faster things will go and possibly less cost to the project.
 #1600412  by ElectricTraction

Silverliner II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 amNot likely about the impediment. I read somewhere (might have been further up in this thread) that the obstruction is part of a bridge structure, so that can't be changed.
Where? How did something get built literally inches from the plate clearance?
shadyjay wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:44 pmIs it possible these trains are when a diesel trainset would have to use Track 6 to get out of the way of a NB and SB scheduled Amtrak train? Therefore, if there is no wire, and to keep the line open for Amtrak passage, they're bussing. This sounds like the definition of "infrastructure and operational limitations"... at least until Track 6 gets wired.
Yup. For a long time they never used the 6 Track, but more recently they have. They need to electrify that, probably some red tape BS with NECR, even though it really doesn't affect anything since it would have the same clearance as the NEC a few hundred feet south.
Silverliner II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:37 pm2. If the M8's are still limited to 80mph by Amtrak, that would also make sense for no decrease in times.
twropr wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 amWere most of the diesels pre 24th 90 or 100 MPH trains?
They go 90 as opposed to 80 for the diesel sets, but that's a trivial difference. The big time savings is in acceleration, comparing a 4000HP M-8 set with nearly instant power via 25kV to IGBT inverters to a 4000HP P40DC with a 7FDL16 slowly winding up, spewing smoke all over the place like a crappy knock-off of an Alco, and eventually starting to lumber is a complete night and day difference.
 #1600478  by Silverliner II

ElectricTraction wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:38 pm
Silverliner II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 amNot likely about the impediment. I read somewhere (might have been further up in this thread) that the obstruction is part of a bridge structure, so that can't be changed.
Where? How did something get built literally inches from the plate clearance?
The bridge in question is in East Haven, but I saw another post that hinted that CDOT might be funding a replacement for that bridge. If that is true and it is replaced, then they would be able to put the third rail shoes back onto the sets and then just use any MU set in the yard for service.

Silverliner II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:37 pm2. If the M8's are still limited to 80mph by Amtrak, that would also make sense for no decrease in times.
twropr wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 amWere most of the diesels pre 24th 90 or 100 MPH trains?
They go 90 as opposed to 80 for the diesel sets, but that's a trivial difference. The big time savings is in acceleration, comparing a 4000HP M-8 set with nearly instant power via 25kV to IGBT inverters to a 4000HP P40DC with a 7FDL16 slowly winding up, spewing smoke all over the place like a crappy knock-off of an Alco, and eventually starting to lumber is a complete night and day difference.
[/quote]

I need to correct myself.... I did mean to say 90 mph for the M8's on SLE, but the goal is to get to 100mph. As for the diesel sets, that 80mph was only because Amtrak limited the Mafersa cars to 80... the P40 diesels can do 100 easily, but I think the Geeps were also limited to 80. I'll have to check my Amtrak ETT.
 #1600488  by 8th Notch

Mafersa cars are good for 90, the only time we were limited on the SLE sets to 80 is when the Geeps were leading. The good thing about the M8s also is they are good for train type B speeds vs the prior sets being limited to C speeds.
 #1600494  by Silverliner II

8th Notch wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm Mafersa cars are good for 90, the only time we were limited on the SLE sets to 80 is when the Geeps were leading. The good thing about the M8s also is they are good for train type B speeds vs the prior sets being limited to C speeds.
Roger. Saved me from digging out my ETT tablet.
 #1600506  by ElectricTraction

Silverliner II wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:24 pmThe bridge in question is in East Haven, but I saw another post that hinted that CDOT might be funding a replacement for that bridge. If that is true and it is replaced, then they would be able to put the third rail shoes back onto the sets and then just use any MU set in the yard for service.
Which one? I'm just amazed that something got built that close to the plate clearance.
Silverliner II wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:37 pmI need to correct myself.... I did mean to say 90 mph for the M8's on SLE, but the goal is to get to 100mph. As for the diesel sets, that 80mph was only because Amtrak limited the Mafersa cars to 80... the P40 diesels can do 100 easily, but I think the Geeps were also limited to 80. I'll have to check my Amtrak ETT.
Could they? Or would it be time to slow down for the next station before they lumbered their way up towards 100? I have no doubt that they could on a long-distance train that doesn't stop in every town.
 #1600538  by 8th Notch

The 100 would only really be beneficial on DH moves and the stretch going west between Clinton and Guilford. As far as going east, departing Branford you probably can get them up to 100 for a short period and Guilford to Madison can probably be done however you really would need to come into Madison hot! The first or 2nd under grade bridge east of Shoreline jct is where the shoes are getting ripped off, the problem is the shoes hang low and going around the curve causes the train to rock and further reduces the clearance between the already low hanging shoes and the concrete sides of the bridge.
 #1600554  by Traingeek3629

I happened to see that 3645 was using a diesel (110) and Mafersa coaches today. Any idea as to why?
 #1601107  by ElectricTraction

8th Notch wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:36 amThe first or 2nd under grade bridge east of Shoreline jct is where the shoes are getting ripped off, the problem is the shoes hang low and going around the curve causes the train to rock and further reduces the clearance between the already low hanging shoes and the concrete sides of the bridge.
That's... exciting. It means everything else only has a few inches of clearance.
 #1619390  by Westchesterrailfan

Over the last few months I have caught two Shore Line East diesel runs, once on December 14th and a round trip on February 24th. While rare diesels definitely do still run on the line. Also the Shore Line East M8s are getting their Metro-North logos replaced by CTrail logos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfszK8z5hk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6U0Oy7oyZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0sX2i_I3gs
Attachments:
Screenshot_20221214_130639_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221214_130639_Gallery.jpg (241.93 KiB) Viewed 538 times