Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1595868  by 8th Notch

Next month is the word indeed, most of the needed crews have been trained on them already. Only thing I heard was Metro North is pushing back against removing the third rail shoes on some of the sets that will run SLE service.
 #1595869  by Silverliner II

8th Notch wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:34 pm Only thing I heard was Metro North is pushing back against removing the third rail shoes on some of the sets that will run SLE service.
With good reason, I think. Kind of makes it a bit difficult to simply grab a trainset for one service or the other when needed if they have to segregate the fleet for that reason.
 #1595873  by 8th Notch

There are clearance issues with the 3rd rail shoes in some spots on the shoreline, a few have been ripped off during testing runs apparently.
 #1595899  by GirlOnTheTrain

I don't blame Metro-North for pushing back. It cuts down on flexibility. Sounds like Amtrak needs to go fix these clearance issues and be done with it.

Presumably through trains *could* resume with M8s, since it has been said elsewhere on this board that part of the reason why Stamford through service hasn't returned is issues with the manual doors on the Mafersa cars. If that train has no turn back east, then it could be used on a Stamford local to New York. Can't do that if you've neutered the set.
 #1596380  by shadyjay

From the "when life gives you lemons" files...

On Saturday 4/23/2022, I returned back to CT from NYC a day earlier than anticipated. After a long night, I was just anxious to get on a train, get home and get some rest. I caught the second train of the day out of GCT and had to wait at New Haven for just over an hour for my SLE connection, but it turned out to be worth it. We departed NHV and headed for State St at a snail's pace, stopping just shy of the platforms. I was in the cab car, so I could see the head end view of M-8s coming into the station, diverging to another track. As soon as they were in the clear and we got the signal, we pulled in. The 4 M-8s passed by us, having "Croton-Harmon" displayed on the side destination panels. I recall asking myself, "what are M-8s doing outside of Metro-North territory". I'd get my question answered shortly.

We operated east on the Shore Line on Track 1, making all local stops except Madison (only has a Track 2 platform - any plans for a Track 1 platform here? Wetlands issues, I'm sure). I got off in Old Saybrook, happy to be back. I hung out in my truck for 5-10 minutes, then heard an unusual (for that part of the Shore Line) horn. I look up, and happen to see those same four M-8s. They pulled in. I walked back to the platform, took some photos, and shot the following video, just as the set was departing back towards New Haven:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/b0BLhEBk0gI

Whether this will be an everyday occurrence soon, or just a one-of test, it was a cool catch!
 #1596410  by Silverliner II

shadyjay wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:24 pm From the "when life gives you lemons" files...
Definitely a nice catch!
 #1596447  by 8th Notch

M8 service is still on pace for the end of next month, SLE service will get dedicated sets with 3rd rail shoes removed. A bump to 100 mph MAS is also in the works.
 #1596479  by Westchesterrailfan

"Thank you for contacting CTrail!

The inauguration ceremonies for the M8 cars are tentatively scheduled for the end of May. Unfortunately, we do not have an exact launch date for when the M8 trains will be implemented in the Shore Line East schedule. However, we will inform our riders as more updates become available." - CTrail Customer Service
 #1596705  by lordsigma12345

This will probably signal the beginning of the end for the MBB car lease from the MBTA - those cars will likely be heading back east. With M8s taking over SLE the Mafersa cars should be able to handle the Hartford Line services.
 #1596825  by hrsn

The MBB cars ride like they have rocks for wheels--and that was one day 1 of service, too! Good riddance!
 #1596856  by 8th Notch

Bluejet wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:04 pm I saw a set of 4 m8s at Old Saybrook today. I’m assuming testing. Noonish.
These are more crew qualification runs at this point.
 #1596896  by BandA

hrsn wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:49 am The MBB cars ride like they have rocks for wheels--and that was one day 1 of service, too! Good riddance!
The Messerschmidts rode fine when they were New, circa 1990.
 #1596903  by west point

Is Amtrak or will it be required to remove all the 3rd rail impediments on the route. It may be SLE will have to pay for these improvements. Just a thought. Are these shoes permanently extended or are they retractable? If fixed that may be why no one thought about the problem?