Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#645285  by Pacobell73

I am sure this question has come up many times. I remember when the M train went all the way to Coney Island via the Brighton Line. Then the construction project in April 1986 rerouted it to its current Fourth Avenue/West End line.

Why has the MTA opted to not either place the M back on the Brighton line or at least extend it current terminus to Coney Island? It currently goes nowhere.
 #645418  by Kamen Rider

The linch pin of the BMT is Dekalb ave. One foulup at the interlocking east of the sation and/or at Gold Street Interlocking to the west can back up the whole B divsion with the exception of L and 7 (the Flushing line operates via B1 fequency). the fewer switch moves there, the better. So, the M and R are through routed to the 4th ave local from the tubes.
 #645592  by Pacobell73

Kamen Rider wrote:The fewer switch moves there, the better. So, the M and R are through routed to the 4th Ave local from the tubes.
Gotcha. I can see that. Now, why end the M at Bay Parkway, three stops short of Coney?
 #645674  by Kamen Rider

Pacobell73 wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:The fewer switch moves there, the better. So, the M and R are through routed to the 4th Ave local from the tubes.
Gotcha. I can see that. Now, why end the M at Bay Parkway, three stops short of Coney?
the number of total trains is past the abilty of Coney Island to turn.
 #646080  by Pacobell73

Kamen Rider wrote:the number of total trains is past the abilty of Coney Island to turn.
I suspected that, but pre-1986, the B, N, F, QB and M all went to Coney. If I remember correctly, the QB was a rush hour service only, but still.
 #646239  by Kamen Rider

Pacobell73 wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:the number of total trains is past the abilty of Coney Island to turn.
I suspected that, but pre-1986, the B, N, F, QB and M all went to Coney. If I remember correctly, the QB was a rush hour service only, but still.
yea, but what was their TPH when you had that many...
 #646362  by Kamen Rider

TPH= "trains per hour" the number of trains passing a given point in an hour.
 #650489  by Bay Head Local

Kamen Rider wrote:TPH= "trains per hour" the number of trains passing a given point in an hour.
Im not sure, but I know the QB only operated at the PEAK of rush hour, with trains to 57th Street departing Brooklyn from 7:10 to 8:15 AM and with trains departing Manhattan for Brighton Beach from 4:40 to 5:25 PM. Im also sure it shared the (M) platform at Coney Island, which probably saw slightly reduced service during those times anyway, to make room for the QB.
 #651079  by R36 Combine Coach

In later 1985, the south tracks on the Manhattan Bridge were closed. The M was switched to the West End shortly afterward in April 1986. It did have something to do with the bridge reconstruction.

Also in recent years M service in Brooklyn has been cut to rush hours only to Bay Pkwy while previously midday trips ended at 9 Av. There is not strong ridership on the south Brooklyn section of the M.
 #659510  by Pacobell73

mnop580 wrote:Incredible prices. Find abercrombie shoes & save up to 75%.Find abercrombie shoes and Compare prices at annywholesale.com
Huh?
 #659685  by Kamen Rider

Pacobell73 wrote:
mnop580 wrote:Incredible prices. Find abercrombie shoes & save up to 75%.Find abercrombie shoes and Compare prices at annywholesale.com
Huh?
It's Image
 #659687  by pennsy

Someone sneaked in an Ad. Has anyone ever gone to Coney Island on a train such as this ?
Attachments:
Subway Cars.jpg
Subway Cars.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
 #660031  by Kamen Rider

Is this close enough? Summer 2004 MOD trip, BU's and Arnines on the Brigton, Culver and Sea Beach. BUs were towed from 59th to Church ave. the Arnines ran ahead and the BUs ran sepertly behind. they were reattached at Ocean Parkway, towed to Stillwell (eveyone gets off for lunch).

get pushed back to Stillwell, everyone gets back on. Get pushed to Kings Highway on the Culver. uncoupled again, the BUs took to the center track, the Arnines were on the local, they raced up the line to 18th, then raced back. BUs made another round trip to 18th, cars recoupled and the train heads down and around on the Sea Beach back to Manhattan

#660184  by pennsy

Nice to see some of those cars survived, although not in running order. I remember riding them in inclement weather and really pitied the conductor when he had to open the gates to allow us to get off. He had NO protection against the weather. I used to ride them on the old elevated Pitkin Ave line.