Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#660532  by alchemist

My father used to commute to work on those beauties, and occasionally I travelled with him. Pennsy, remember they needed a conductor between each two cars? (Four conductors on a six-car train!) And they used a bell cord to relay "gates closed" from the rear of the train to the front. No luxuries like centralized door control or even an electric buzzer. Wooden trains and iron men. :-)
 #660694  by pennsy

And they were really dangerous in icy weather. The conductors would have to spread sand or ashes on the platforms so that they, and the passengers, would not slip and fall. How they would then be able to straddle both cars and operate the gates on each car was then quite a thrill.
 #660895  by Pacobell73

Kamen Rider wrote:
Pacobell73 wrote:
mnop580 wrote:Incredible prices. Find abercrombie shoes & save up to 75%.Find abercrombie shoes and Compare prices at annywholesale.com
Huh?
It's Image
Yeah, I figured as much. Love the spam graphic! :-D
 #660916  by Kamen Rider

i googled that up a long time ago and saved it in my favorites, just for situations like this.
 #661554  by AmeriKenArtist

Thanks for the photos! Great stuff!
 #661641  by RedLantern

Because of the abbreviation "EL", all the recommended videos are in Spanish. :)
 #661709  by Kamen Rider

RedLantern wrote:Because of the abbreviation "EL", all the recommended videos are in Spanish. :)
not my fault these moron's don't speak railfan :)
 #661728  by pennsy

That video clip brought back some memories. I believe that is where the term " Rock and Roll " was created.