Railroad Forums 

• M&E Line thru Pasaaic, NJ down the street in Garfield

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1360323  by carajul

What is the history and status of the M&E spur that leaves the NJT line in Garfield, NJ and crosses the Pasaaic river on a narrow trestle. It then goes south thru Pasaaic and stub ends at an engine terminal at 7th & South Sts. The tracks look deplorable but NJT has a bunch of equipment parked at the end of the track. I doubt this line was built just so M&E had someone to park equipment. What is the history and what did this line serve and what is the current status? It also looks like a 3 track yard that ran along Dundee Park in Pasaaic.

Looking at the old arials it looks like where the current engine terminal building is at once was a tank car farm of sorts. Looks like thru the 70s and 90s branch always had cars parked in yard but now dead.
Last edited by carajul on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1360325  by ccutler

That branch has a long history and used to connect to a major industrial area. Conrail rebuilt the trestle around 1980. I doubt M&E has anything to do with it, you should search for NY&Greenwood Lakes as the last operator.
 #1360453  by cjvrr

Correct, M&E has nothing to do with this line however the most recent movement to my knowledge over the branch was by an M&E engine that went to Passaic to retrieve the former NJT U34CH that had been stored near the garbage transfer facility.

That was a well photographed event.