Railroad Forums 

• M&E hosting RPCA Conference January 14-17, 2005

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#83155  by Tri-State Tom

jhd -

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 'Kitchi Gammi Club' owned by an employee of the M&E ? Can you share who rented her for the Sugar Bowl trip....a Hokie fan ?

Also, where is 'Mount Vernon' arriving from ?

thanks.

#83188  by jhdeasy

Tri-State Tom wrote:jhd -

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 'Kitchi Gammi Club' owned by an employee of the M&E ? Can you share who rented her for the Sugar Bowl trip....a Hokie fan ?

Also, where is 'Mount Vernon' arriving from ?

thanks.
You are correct - an employee (CMO) of the M&E is one of the owners of KITCHI GAMMI CLUB. Her 2005 Sugar Bowl trip passengers are in fact fans of the Virginia Tech Hokies.

MOUNT VERNON has been based at Hanover Park (Whippany) since November 2003 when her owners relocated her from the Lancaster & Chester Railway in Lancaster SC for better/easier access to Amtrak.

#83273  by njt4172

How much did it cost for people to register for this convention??

Thanks,
Steve

#83314  by jhdeasy

The registration information is on the Railroad Passenger Car Alliance website http://www.rpca.com

There is a base registration fee ($85) which includes the seminars, the special train to/from the "behind the scenes tour" of MMC and the famous hospitality suite. There are supplemental charges for other events such as the FRI nite car party ($10), SAT night banquet ($49) and SUN afternoon "behind the scenes" tour of GCT ($29).

The hospitality suite is a great place to bend the elbow and talk about railroading.

In general, it is more reasonably priced than AAPRCO's annual convention.

#84355  by njt4172

Thanks, but I may just take photos of it from one of the NJT platforms.....I wonder if I will need a NJT photo permit to take pictures at say Madison or Chatham.....

Steve

#86322  by jhdeasy

Update ...

MKT 403 has cancelled their trip to the RPCA convention.

The only out of town PV coming in for the RPCA convention is METIS. However, there is a complication ... METIS' vertical clearance (on file as 15 feet 5 inches) is the same height as the clearance under the lowest bridge across the line between the MMC and Morristown ... NJ Transit will measure METIS upon arrival at the MMC and make a go or no go decision on allowing a move to M&E.

#86353  by njt4172

jhdeasy,

So the most equipment that will be in attendance are these cars??
FL-9 locomotives 488 and 489
ALDER FALLS
ALEXANDER HAMILTON
MORRIS COUNTY
OHIO RIVER
Privately (non-M&E) owned equipment
KITCHI GAMMI CLUB

Is this it?

Thanks,
Steve

#86411  by Tri-State Tom

....plus 'Mt. Vernon' I think Steve.

#86424  by jhdeasy

njt4172 wrote:jhdeasy,

So the most equipment that will be in attendance are these cars??
FL-9 locomotives 488 and 489
ALDER FALLS
ALEXANDER HAMILTON
MORRIS COUNTY
OHIO RIVER
Privately (non-M&E) owned equipment
KITCHI GAMMI CLUB

Is this it?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "in attendance."

There are two convention events that involve private cars.

The first event is the car party on Friday night at Whippany. I suspect the above list, plus MOUNT VERNON, will be used for the car party. If METIS passes the clearance test, I'm sure she will be at Whippany and her owners will make her available for the car party. Some of the other cars parked at Whippany may also be open for the Friday night car party; these may include EPICURUS, MOUNTAIN VIEW and BELLE TERRE. CANNON BALL will definitely not be participating.

The second event is the M&E special train from Whippany/Morristown to the MMC tour and return on Saturday afternoon. The candidates are the cars you mentioned plus MOUNT VERNON and possibly METIS. I'm sure the motive power will be the FL-9 units, rather than Alcos, in view of providing HEP for the passenger cars.

#86579  by Tri-State Tom

jhd -

Isn't 'METIS' arriving today ?

#86666  by jhdeasy

Tri-State Tom wrote:jhd -

Isn't 'METIS' arriving today ?
I believe METIS arrived at PHL or NYP today (1/12/2005) on Amtrak # 40.

I believe METIS was advertising going as far as PHL on Amtrak. When I asked the owners how they planned to get from PHL to the M&E and return, they talked about moving in a NJ Transit equipment move between PHL and the MMC, where they could interchange with M&E. This has now been complicated by the vertical clearance issue.

I hope it works out for METIS ... I guess I will see what happened when I get to Whippany on Friday.

#87048  by njt4172

Got this from the EL list....

A pair of M&E FL-9s by Morristown, Eastbound, at 1:35pm.

Philip Martin
[email protected]
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

#87505  by Tri-State Tom

Canadian National 'Metis' spotted this afternoon in Whippany hitched to M&E's Louisville & Nashville 'Ohio River'....

I guess she passed the height concerns.

#87955  by OCtrainguy

Me, my son and a friend of mine drove up to Morristown after spending some time at the Shared Assets Lehigh Line this morning. We were able to get some photos of the train at the M&E engine house, some photos as the train reversed onto transit and then pulling into Morristown station. The train and cars were defintely worth the drive to see.

We also drove to Whipanny and saw the cars previously mentioned as being there. Also saw the "Canon Ball" there as well. On a personal note, I remember seeing the Kitchi Gammi Club at Altoona's 2002 Railfest.