• M&E High Bridge Branch

  • Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, mikec, cjl330

  by rr503
 
First, hello! :-D
I'm new here (but I've been reading the forums for more than a year), and was wondering what customers the M&E serves on what is left of the CNJ High Bridge branch?
  by mandealco
 
Hi
There is a lot of great info on the M&E's own website, no customer info these days, but locations of transload facilities. There is also some good info on the Wiki site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morristown ... ie_Railway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not sure how current a lot of this is, but worth a read.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
  by R36 Combine Coach
 
The one lone customer on the south end of the line, Triumph Plastics, receives a delivery about once a month. Between 2008 and 2013 there was no service south of U.S. Route 46 except annual Toys For Tots.
  by rr503
 
R36 Combine Coach wrote:The one lone customer on the south end of the line, Triumph Plastics, receives a delivery about once a month. Between 2008 and 2013 there was no service south of U.S. Route 46 except annual Toys For Tots.
Thanks to both of you
There was a national chain store (Toys r us according to wiki) that had a rail served warehouse at the end of the line, but I also remember that they stopped receiving by rail a few years ago.
When/why did they stop using rail?
  by RAHWAYVALLEYRAILROAD
 
Blue Ridge Lumber in Kenvil receives several carloads of lumber per month. Cars are placed at the new Kenvil Team Track, located along the High Bridge Branch, for unloading
  by ccutler
 
There may be some issue for the warehouses that the M&E lines can't yet receive Plate F boxcars from the Phillipsburg end, which constrains the efficiency of shipping by rail for lower density goods.
  by rr503
 
ccutler wrote:There may be some issue for the warehouses that the M&E lines can't yet receive Plate F boxcars from the Phillipsburg end, which constrains the efficiency of shipping by rail for lower density goods.
Isn't there a plan by njdot (or maybe it's the county) to fix that?
I know this is off topic, but does the M&E actually runs to CSX in south Kearny? If so, via which route?
  by Chrisgr
 
They go down the Morris & Essex line to interchange with CSX. I'm not sure if they go to South Kearny. I thought it was Harrison where they picked up cars.
  by rr503
 
Chrisgr wrote:They go down the Morris & Essex line to interchange with CSX. I'm not sure if they go to South Kearny. I thought it was Harrison where they picked up cars.
How often do they go there, and when they do, how many cars do they have?
Thanks!
  by R36 Combine Coach
 
The Conrail/CSX interchange with M&E is at Center Street in Harrison, just east of Newark Broad Street and next to I-280.