Railroad Forums 

• M&E excursion trains coming to Maine

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#23436  by MEC407

Received this from NNEPRA this morning:

"In addition, [Governor Baldacci] announced a mutual goal of adding a fifth round trip between Portland and Boston in 2005 and a pilot project in summer 2004 to operate excursion trains from Portland, Brunswick and Rockland along Guilford's lines and the Maine DOT's Rockland Branch. The excursion trains will be operated by the Maine Eastern Railroad (M&E subsidiary) and will likely serve festivals and special events in Rockland."
 #23518  by RS115

That could explain why the FL-9's 488/489 have been up at Morristown shop getting some attention this week. Today they were both outside on seperate tracks and 489 was running and they fired up the HEP generator while I was there. They're also working on the one ex-Amtrak F-40 but it would appear to be far from ready to go anywhere.

Time will tell. Depending on what other equipment were to go it could buy them some breathing room for equipment storage.

#23724  by XRails

What's Guilford's reaction to all this? Also, will the equipment be in M&E paint, or could we a scheme reflecting the last passenger operator of the line - MEC?

#23971  by jhdeasy

I believe one reason that M&E 488/489 are getting some attention this week is the fact that M&E Railway will operate a passenger special train on Saturday evening June 5th.

If I heard correctly, the route is Whippany - Morristown - west end of Hoboken - Suffern - west end of Hoboken - Morristown - Whipany. Consist will be two FL-9 locomotives and several passenger cars.

#24087  by njt4172

Anyone know what time this train will leave Whippany on Saturday night???

Thanks,
Steve