• Lyndhurst Draw

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by sullivan1985

Is this the original bridge that was installed by the DL&W when the Boonton Line was built through Lynhurst or was this bridge replaced by the EL or something. I figure this because the WR Bridge a few miles south is the same kind of bridge and is in the most horrible shape you could imagine.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this because the Main Line bridge is in perfect condition and it looks like it had been repainted not to long ago to the greenish color it is now (because I remember it being a brownish color, and I'm not confusing this bridge with WR).

Yeah I think this might be a bit confusing, but I didn't know who else to word this...

And pictures and answers would be great! Thanks...
  by MikeW

And the bridge pilings (is that the right term?) look like they where hit by a barge. You can see that heading north on 21. The Main Line bridge in Lyndhurst was painted within the last 10 maybe 15 years ago.
  by sullivan1985

MikeW wrote:And the bridge pilings (is that the right term?) look like they where hit by a barge. You can see that heading north on 21. The Main Line bridge in Lyndhurst was painted within the last 10 maybe 15 years ago.
Ok, I had a feeling it had been repainted. Never heard about a barge hitting it. Hmm, I'll have to look that up...

by 7 Train

This listing has Lyndhurst Draw as "Bolted Shut, movable with two days notice". Is it still the case?

Also where is the bridge tender's house on the bridge?

by sullivan1985

7 Train wrote:This listing has Lyndhurst Draw as "Bolted Shut, movable with two days notice". Is it still the case?

Also where is the bridge tender's house on the bridge?
I don't know about the bolted shut thing. There is a sign in the middle of the span that I want to photograph that might have info on that...

As for the control room, there are two of them, one on each side of the span in the very middle...

by unclepeat

I know the Passaic-Rutherford bridge was wiped out by a barge. It was out of service for 2 years. I don't recall the Lyndhurst bridge what year was that?

by sullivan1985

unclepeat wrote:I know the Passaic-Rutherford bridge was wiped out by a barge. It was out of service for 2 years. I don't recall the Lyndhurst bridge what year was that?
Are you sure. I've done a lot of research on BE Draw (The former Erie Main Bridge) and never read anything about a barge hitting it or it being out of service for any period of time. From what I know, it was in service until the Main Line was abandoned and torn up in favor of a new alignment over the DL&W Boonton Line in April of 1963.
  by MikeW

I'm new at this so we'll have to forgive me. The bridge going from Kearny to Newark was hit by a barge not too long ago. I always thought that was the Boonton Line.

by Lackawanna484

sullivan1985 wrote:
unclepeat wrote:I know the Passaic-Rutherford bridge was wiped out by a barge. It was out of service for 2 years. I don't recall the Lyndhurst bridge what year was that?
Are you sure. I've done a lot of research on BE Draw (The former Erie Main Bridge) and never read anything about a barge hitting it or it being out of service for any period of time. From what I know, it was in service until the Main Line was abandoned and torn up in favor of a new alignment over the DL&W Boonton Line in April of 1963.

I don't have a recollection of this railroad bridge being damaged either

by Tri-State Tom

MikeW -

I've been at this rail-fan stuff in these parts off and on for like 40 years and I STILL get me river/rail bridges mixed-up regularly !

by unclepeat

I was refering to the vehicle bridge, the barge broke away north of the old bridge and clipped a submerged pilon from the old passic-rutherford bridge floated out of control and destroyed the vehicle bridge.

BTW Does anyone have any rr maps of the delawanna-clifton-passic area?

by sullivan1985

unclepeat wrote:I was refering to the vehicle bridge, the barge broke away north of the old bridge and clipped a submerged pilon from the old passic-rutherford bridge floated out of control and destroyed the vehicle bridge.

BTW Does anyone have any rr maps of the delawanna-clifton-passic area?
Historical TOPO maps?