Railroad Forums 

• LVRR SW1 #112. the prototype and a model.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#184451  by scottychaos

joshuahouse wrote:Can you buy G scale (both kinds) locomotive shells without the motors and such so that you can just model them for stationary display?
sadly, no.
"dummy" (unpowered) units dont exist in G.
it has been discussed, and unpowered units have been asked for, btu the manufacturers of G diesels (mainly Aristocraft and USA trains) have said that it would cost nearly as much to offer an unpowered unit..because the motors are a small percentage of the total cost of the unit..so they simply dont bother.
(In G (or more properly "large scale") the motors are built into the trucks.)

I have managed to pick up a few GP30 shells, from people I know from my main G modeling forum:
www.mylargescale.com

but otherwise, dummy units or shells arent availble new from the manufacturers..you have to hunt for them!

Scot

#185208  by GOLDEN-ARM

Looks good, Scot. I did mine in HO, with the pre-war paint scheme, and I haven't shot pix yet, although someday I might share, as well. I have been attempting to locate the owner(s) of the 112, and was going to make a bid on it, if they could be located. Although it's nice to see her, still wearing a worn, but original LV paint scheme, I would restore her to "as delivered" condition, and colors. I have always enjoyed the little SW-1's, although finding one to run, gets harder every day. My first LV cab ride, was in the 112, at the SIRT interchange, in Cranford, back in 63 or 64, don't remember the exact year. I am doing the all time diesel roster, in HO, unit for unit, and it is now past the halfway point!!! :-D :-D Someday I even imagine having some track, to run the units on, other than on my test-track, on the work bench.Waiting for your final shots, including the painted version. Regards :-D

#190907  by GRSJr

Great effort on LV112, Scotty.

My question is. "Why not LV180 - LV186?" They are NW-2 locos and should be represented by the origional model except for paint.

Is the model so bad it needs re-doing anyway? Or are you just enamored with the SW-1. Couldn't fault you if it's the latter.

#190919  by scottychaos

Ray,
its just because the SW1 looks so much cooler than the NW2!
I like the long porches on both ends.
and no one has a SW1 in G gauge yet..im going to make the first one! :P
(well..as far as I know..)

Scot

#191624  by GOLDEN-ARM

Although "light on their feet", those little SW-1's, with the sanders pouring out the seashore, and a pinch of air on the jimmie, will lug a hell of a lot of cars. One of my top five favorites, as far as switchers go, these little "pups" are really cool to run, if you ever get the chance. I had one running a uyard job one night, and I was working it so hard, for so long, the stack was glowing red, with the heat of the fire, pouring out of it!!! Lot's of sand, and a light touch on the independent, produces over 1000 amps, at will, for extended pulls, while drilling yard tracks. Huge globs of molten carbon, also expelled from the stack, while doing this, raining down fire, all over the yard. One of my best memories, while working in yard service. On another note, Scot, you wouldn't happen to know "LVFS", over on ebay, would you? Just curious, seems rather familiar........... :wink:

#197978  by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:. On another note, Scot, you wouldn't happen to know "LVFS", over on ebay, would you? Just curious, seems rather familiar........... :wink:
no, that isnt me..dont know who that is. (seriously)

update to the webpage! :P
lots of new photos on page 3:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... page3.html

Scot
 #241947  by TB Diamond

Scot: You asked what happened to LV SW1 No. 112?: Retired by the Lehigh Valley RR E/1976 just prior to ConRail. Sold to a dealer (?) and then resold L/1977 to Direct Reduction Company, Rockwood, TN. Got to photograph it there in October, 1982. Glad to see that it is still extant.

#242233  by GOLDEN-ARM

Looks sweet, Scot. I will share my version, in HO scale, in the pre-War scheme, as soon as I gey my digital camera from storage....... :(