Railroad Forums 

• LVRR MP441 Williamsville Depot Semaphore question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1550091  by SST

Since the semaphore has been installed a few years ago, I have always wondered about 2 things.

1] Has anybody thought of attaching a solar powered light so it's lit up at night? I recently purchased two solar powered lights and the light can be separated from the solar panel. This will make it possible to fit it to the semaphore without having to modify the semaphore.

2] Is the semaphore facing the correct direction. Currently, it is facing westerly towards Niagara Falls. Is this the way it was during normal operations? The reason I ask is that if a solar light was to be installed, only a short distance of viewing would be available. Part of the parking light and the street. I'm thinking if this is lit, facing the semaphore in the opposite direct [Easterly towards the airport] you would get a view of the semaphore from a longer way out especially after the leaves fall. I do understand the importance of authenticity.

I've had a solar light attached to my crossing signal for 5 years or more. Every night I look out the window and look at it with its glowing red light. I think lighting the semaphore would be just as great.