Railroad Forums 

• LV wreck near Barton, NY late 60's

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1001259  by SteelRail

My sister-in-law gave me a framed collage of wreck photos from slides that her grandfather took. The wreck was supposedly at Barton, NY, and it appears that the wreck train is a LV train (The RS-3 appears to be LV, and the gons are LV, but I can't make out the markings on the crane other than "Industrial Brownhoist"). The slides were developed in 1968. I can't find any accident report for this. Does anyone have any details on this wreck?
 #1001747  by dixiecats

Hello, I'm a total newbie here, but found this post while doing some genealogy research/googling. I grew up near Barton so it caught my eye.

I found a Binghamton Press article here, Jan. 30, 1967, pg. 3A:
23 Cars of Lehigh Valley Freight Jump Tracks, Block Road in Barton

I'd transcribe it but that's probably not allowed by copyright. Summary is: 23 cars (of 99) derailed, 5 crew from Waverly and Sayre, no one hurt, 2000 feet of track torn up, about 3 mi. east of Waverly at a viaduct down into the Cannon Hole (near southwest end of Old Barton Road in current day).

Hope this helps! :)
 #1001765  by scottychaos

The actual tunnel for the LV crossing under the Erie no longer exists, but a culvert for a stream is still there,
just about in the same location..

I have never actually seen a photo of the LV tunnel under the Erie..anyone ever seen one?

The existing culvert is right at the "transfer station" (aka "the dump") which in on Route 17 nearly across from Notch Hill Road..
if you go to google maps or bing maps, you can still see the LV ROW on the ground through the Cannon Hole area..
and once it crossed under the Erie, the ROW is still highly visable today all through the Barton/Smithboro areas, into Tioga Center..

"Dixie", welcome to the group! im from Waverly..

Scot