Railroad Forums 

• LV Manchester roundhouse

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#475215  by BR&P

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I gather Sean is a youngster. And I admire his dedication and enthusiasm. There's nothing wrong with dreaming - heck, I dream of seeing the roundhouse restored too. But Sean, you need to temper the dream with some reality of how things work in today's world.

I doubt the whole country gives a rat's rear end about the LV. West of the Mississippi probably even many railfans have only a passing knowledge of it. How much do you know or care about the Utah Ry? Or the Spokane Portland & Seattle?

FGLK already has a shop, centrally located. I'm not speaking for them, but why would they want to come out some branch, spend millions, to restore this place? If they had that money to spend they could make a far better, more functional facility starting from scratch.

Here's a suggestion Sean, and anybody else who seriously believes this can happen. Start gathering prices. How much for a dumpster, and how many loads will it take to clean the place out? Call a construction company, see how much the charge would be for a hoe ram to pound out the concrete. Get hold of an insurance company, ask what liability insurance would cost while all this is being done. Measure one of the windows, get a realistic estimate on replacing all of them, then estimate how many will be busted out by the kids before the work is even done.

You can go on and on, but when you look at the reality of some of those numbers, maybe you will get a different perspective. And contrary to what you may think, the government is NOT just sitting around with bags of cash waiting to give it to projects like this.

My guess - and this is just my personal gut feeling not any firm knowledge - is that RIG (next door) is already working closely with the county to get the environmental stuff taken care of so the building can be removed, they can buy the land, and expand their operation, and at some point in the future return it to the tax roles. They are a growing multi-million dollar company, providing many jobs, and I'd guess would carry more clout that a well-intentioned but understaffed and underfunded group of volunteers.

Look guys, I'm not being a grinch here. I would like to see things saved. But right in Manchester, there were two wooden LV boxcars rotting away for many years. One, LV 75510, has been rescued, for now. That was a "wrong way door" car, and there is already one preserved at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania. http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/lv75073.jpg The other one still sits there, perhaps the ONLY surviving wooden "right way(??) " door LV car left. Saving a boxcar is FAR easier than saving the roundhouse. But I don't see anybody stepping forward to tackle even that comparatively simple task.

Dreaming is fine, and I can close my eyes and see the roundhouse restored and ALCOs being turned on the turntable. Unfortunately, I believe that's as close as it will come to reality. And I'm about done here - if you want to beat the drum more go right ahead. I promise, at the grand opening and dedication ceremony, to step up to the podium and tell everyone present I said it would never be done and let them laugh at me. It would be well worth it!

#475252  by nessman

Believe me - it would cost much less to build a new enginehouse than it would to hire an structural engineer just to assess the LV roundhouse.

Steel buildings are cheap. 50x100 - enough to hold 3 road engines, $35,000 for the building itself before you add in construction labor, etc...

#475259  by nessman

BR&P wrote:How much do you know or care about the Utah Ry? Or the Spokane Portland & Seattle?
I saw the Utah Railway run a train nearby when I was in Salt Lake earlier this year. Otherwise, time constraints kept me from foaming.
My guess - and this is just my personal gut feeling not any firm knowledge - is that RIG (next door) is already working closely with the county to get the environmental stuff taken care of so the building can be removed, they can buy the land, and expand their operation, and at some point in the future return it to the tax roles. They are a growing multi-million dollar company, providing many jobs, and I'd guess would carry more clout that a well-intentioned but understaffed and underfunded group of volunteers.
I can partially confirm this - I hadn't gotten a chance to report on this, but last night I did some research and it's a matter of time til the roundhouse comes down. Check the Village of Manchester's website and read their board meeting minutes. RIG is definitely looking to acquire the property from the county, demolish the roundhouse and clean up the property so they can expand. In fact, they keep pushing back the expiration of a fire code variance for a fire wall between their office and manufacturing facility in their existing building - with the intent to use the roundhouse site as their new office building.

The roundhouse will soon be history.
Last edited by nessman on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#475334  by Lehighton_Man

well, now i see it into perspective, that i guess another piece of railroadia soon washed into the books of history. I hadnt thought about the entire aspect of restoration.
But one last stand to excirse, is my last fight against the end of history.
1. Why does RIG base its operations out of manchester NY, when there are hundreds of Vacant massive factory buildings in Rochester NY, where they basically serve as places for bad things to take place instead of being used for their original purpose?
Why must RIG expand an operation here in Manchester when they could find a factory building in rochester that could allow them to expand on a 10-fold.
You see, i think into the view of economics about this point. If RIG was to demolish the roundhouse, 1. that upset quite a few people, for sure. 2. it would have every lehigher almost dis-liking RIG.
Yes, i understand it may effect the town of manchester, but if you look at it properly, and see it in my view. restoration is possible.

BRP..
Not exactly :wink:
im actually 14, with high ambitions for my future.
Cheers,
Sean
EDIT:
no, i am not aiming anything bad or mean at RIG with this post.

#475389  by BR&P

Sean, I have no doubt that, with your love of the LV, you WILL be a factor is preserving some part of it for future generations to know. We need more people like you and I sincerely wish it was practical to save the roundhouse. Unfortunately, one thing you will hear in the preservation game is "you can't save them all" and sadly that's true. Things - and people - don't last forever and it seems we are always captivated by something just a few years out of reach. For you, it's LV. For someone a bit older, it's first generation diesels. Before that, steam. And so on.

It sounds like the LVRRHS has gained some momentum. The Rochester Chapter of the NRHS has a great operation. Ditto the New York Museum of Transportation. There are others. They can all use your help. You will likely have to endure the sight of the roundhouse being razed, but there are other pieces of rail history - LV and other roads - waiting for somebody to save them. Find something that fits your liking and availability, and go for it.

#475402  by nessman

Sean...

Somewhere along the way, the LV Manchester Yard became the property of the Ontario County Industrial Development Agency (Don may have some background on that). The OCIDA charged with promoting industrial development and growth for the county. The property is already zoned for industrial use, and the OCIDA has the authority to grant tax breaks and other financial incentives to entice new businesses to the area. If it weren't for the OCIDA, you wouldn't have RIG and the concrete business there now.

I don't think anyone here wants to see a piece of RR history go, but change is inevitable and right now the roundhouse has been a long standing eyesore to the folks living in Manchester and a health & safety hazard to people who work and live adjacent to the structure. The property needs to be cleaned up and returned to the tax rolls to help fund your school district and employ more folks who live in the area which serves the greater good of the community. As the LV ceased to exist and the county took title to the property, along with it went a lot of good paying jobs and tax dollars. The OCIDA will help bring that prosperity back to the area by promoting industrial development.

The roundhouse served in a limited capacity beyond it's railroad years by a couple of businesses - but they're long out of business and no one is quite sure who still owns the property. My guess it went back to the county in a tax foreclosure and it now stands as a liability to the community.

Change is good. I'd much rather see a new office building than a decaying relic from a bygone industrial era. Look at what the NYSDOT did with the Rt 21 grade crossing... it looks much much better than it did a year ago.

At this point, the best we can hope for is that RIG will construct a building that will reflect upon the history of the property - but in the long run, whatever the case may be - change is good.

#475444  by Lehighton_Man

Alright, i guess i can end my testimate to the survival of the roundhouse. I rest my case. Not worth fighting over something thats just going to see the wrecking ball anyway. Not to shoot things down, or do anything mean, but i guess its the best way to go, now viewing things from your points.
Only time will tell if it stands or if it falls, just like the coaling tower did.
I rest my case :(
-- Sean

#476175  by TB Diamond

My understanding is that RIG demolished or had demolished for plant expansion the old coaling tower remains. Further understand that the LCL docks are receiving or have received the same treatment for the same purpose. Therefore, if the roundhouse goes in that direction then we must simply allow that it is progress and should deal with it on an individual basis. Will now get off the soap box.

#476195  by Otto Vondrak

Sean- don't feel bad, you didn't do anything wrong... let me give you some advice. When I was your age (not really that long ago), I'd meet people who would discuss trains with me and actually got me believing some of my own ideas could float on their own. Imagine my embarassment when I'd get shot down by others who would explain how things worked. I'm sure the folks you were talking to were not trying to mislead you, only encourage your enthusiasm. Don't give up in your research efforts, and remember there are many worthwhile museum organizations nearby that can use your help!

#476313  by kemay59

Sean:

I'm pleased to see your enthusiasm for preserving the history of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Even if the Manchester roundhouse is a lost cause, we can at least try to save the turntable and other artifacts from the site. As Don mentioned, there is also a wooden box car nearby that is worth preserving. Please attend the next meeting of the LVRRHS on December 16 if you can and bring up your ideas for discussion. We're glad that you're a member of our group.

Ken May, LVRRHS Trustee
 #476728  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:well, now i see it into perspective, that i guess another piece of railroadia soon washed into the books of history. I hadnt thought about the entire aspect of restoration.
But one last stand to excirse, is my last fight against the end of history.
1. Why does RIG base its operations out of manchester NY, when there are hundreds of Vacant massive factory buildings in Rochester NY, where they basically serve as places for bad things to take place instead of being used for their original purpose?
Why must RIG expand an operation here in Manchester when they could find a factory building in rochester that could allow them to expand on a 10-fold.
You see, i think into the view of economics about this point. If RIG was to demolish the roundhouse, 1. that upset quite a few people, for sure. 2. it would have every lehigher almost dis-liking RIG.
Yes, i understand it may effect the town of manchester, but if you look at it properly, and see it in my view. restoration is possible.

BRP..
Not exactly :wink:
im actually 14, with high ambitions for my future.
Cheers,
Sean
EDIT:
no, i am not aiming anything bad or mean at RIG with this post.
Sadly, Sean, it looks like RIG will demolish the roundhouse to little fanfare. The local press has bigger fish to fry. Do I think the public would support a preservation/museum project there? Yes, I do... but I think most local railfans would support any preservation project... whether it is an LV roundhouse, the old BR&P/B&O roundhouse in Rochester or the old Hojack depot in Webster. The key issue with the roundhouse is that RIG holds the trump cards. Quite frankly, I can't blame them for wanting to stay where they are. Manchester is a safer community (read: less crime) than downtown Rochester and has a lower tax base, too. It's probably alot cheaper to expand in Manchester than to move somewhere else.

Sadly, you come along too late in the bulding's history and at too young an age make an effective difference. BR&P makes a good point- your energy would be better spent preserving something else. Good luck!

#476764  by Lehighton_Man

Thanks for the opinions guys.
As many said, it would be pretty cool to see the restoration of the roundhouse, but with RIG holding the big cards in this game of poker, with the roundhouse being the bet, im pretty sure it would be one helluva lucky draw if RIG backed out(most unlikely) But, i also see its restortation as a very hard task from the structural standpoint. The East wall, as shown in many photos, would need to be completely rebuilt, the roof would have to be redone, that 'tunnel' thing that extends out of the house into the turntable would have to be removed, and it just keeps jacking the price farther and father and farther up the ladder. And i know for fact that its gonna take more than just us Lehighers to foot the bill for structural repairs. But, we can still dream about how cool it would be to see 3 LV road engines in that house again. A C420, U23B, and a GP38-2 all sitting next to each other.

As for other historical Societies, i will probably join within a few months. The RGVMRR is going to be a task to join for 1, the distance of the drive(my parents hate driving to rochester, especially for something like a RGVMRR meeting) and 2. my overall beginning, working my way up the ladder.

Thanks for the support guys.
although, i have just one more question that bugs me so.
How would the West wall, which faces much more weather impact, (even though RIGs building some-what protects it) be still structurally stable, but the East Wall deteioration at such a rapid pace? I know that the West wall was masonary constructed, but what was the east wall originally? Brick? or wood?
(i would guess Brick, since its such a more liable thought)

Thanks,
Sean

#476798  by scottychaos

Sean,
I believe the East wall is not the original wall..
some stalls have been removed from the east side of the roundhouse,
(how many I dont know)
So the east wall once looked exactly like the existing west wall,
but at some point the east wall was demolished, some stalls were removed, making the roundhouse smaller than it was, and the big gaping hole was filled in with what passes today as the "east wall"..

Scot

#476983  by Lehighton_Man

so from what i understand, the east wall was once like the west wall until somebody, or something removed 2 stalls, and just patched up the gaping hole. real smart... :P
So, as we return to the original discussion, the story is that it once had 30 stalls, but now is down to 28 i presume?
Cheers,
Sean