Railroad Forums 

• LV GP38AC 311, in Corning NY a few months ago.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#186527  by scottychaos

While answering a question about the LV GP38AC's on another forum just now, ( http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1310 )
I searched for photos of Norfolk Southern GP38-2 5516.
found one!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=114158

This is LV 311.

She was rebuilt by NS a few years ago, and is now classified as a GP38-2.
the other three LV GP38AC's have not been rebuilt, and are currently OOS and in storage with NS..future uncertain.

Well, I got to thinking, if LV 311 was in Corning last July, the odds are very good she passed through Waverly!
and..what if she ran through Sayre?! :P

(does ANY 4-axle power even run into Sayre anymore? I have seen nothing but 6-axle engines for years..)

but anyway, NS 5516 is the LAST LV engine that still has a reasonable chance of running through Sayre during the course of its natural duties..
she is the last, and only, LV locomotive remaining with NS.

(I suppose in theory the LV GP38-2's (with CP) could also still run on LV rails somewhere..but likely not through Sayre.)

just thought it was an interesting observation!
I would love to see 311 again..caught her once as Conrail 7657 back in the 80's..
on a system the size of NS, its not likely..*sigh*..
but at least she is still out there running!

Scot
 #186649  by Lehighrrgreg

SCOT!!!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I CAN CONFIRM THIS. I was on that engine and never even paid attention. I got out my log and was on that engine in Gang Mills shortly after I hired...I have July 21 for the date.

-Greg

#186739  by sallenparks

The 5516 spent alot of time between Elmira and Gangmills first time I photographed her was on the Corning secondary my dad shot her in Elmira yard shortly after that four axled units although rare have been in Sayre I saw an EX. EMD leasing GP38 down there road #826 in March this year. So maybe 5516 was down in Sayre NS sure loves GP38's.
 #187012  by Matt Langworthy

Cripes, I may have gotten a cab ride in that GP-38!!! Was #5516 assigned to the Elmira area in 1995?
 #192723  by Matt Langworthy

Yeah, thanks Tom! Image

Is there a way to find if this engine was ever assigned to CR's Elmira yard?

#192907  by sallenparks

Yeah 5516 was in Elmira yard for Two to Three weeks after she arrived. Being from Elmira and growing up here I can confirm this for a fact. NS tends to use the same loco's on the old ERIE for several weeks before they move on. Right now unless changed in the past day or two UP power seems too be the norm.

#192998  by ANDY117

Yeah, I haven;t listened in a few days, but last time I checked H88 had UP 6462 and NS 9308. And about a week and a half ago, it had 2 up units.