Railroad Forums 

• LV Athens station

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#705041  by scottychaos

Athens station is visible on the right-center of the pic..just below the Main street crossing..

Top of the photo is Compass East..tracks lead off the top of the photo toward Sayre yard.
Bottom of the photo is Compass West..tracks head off the bottom of the photo toward the Chemung River bridge..
The big factory in the center is the Athens Ingersoll Rand plant..still in business today.

I dont recall ever seeing the signal bridge right next to the station..it was gone by the early 80's..
but the signal bridge visible at the top of the photo survived into the late 80's, maybe into the 90's..

Scot
 #705233  by lvrr325

It lasted through at least 1995 and I kind of suspect that unless it rotted to the point it had to come down it was one of the things that got torn down just before the split, like the Ithaca yard office.

Do you know where to find the motors from the semaphores that once were on those bridges?
 #705247  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:It lasted through at least 1995 and I kind of suspect that unless it rotted to the point it had to come down it was one of the things that got torn down just before the split, like the Ithaca yard office.

Do you know where to find the motors from the semaphores that once were on those bridges?
No, sorry..it was definately torn down in 1982..
I know for a fact it was gone by 1984, when I started taking train pics around Waverly-Sayre-Athens..

oh wait..maybe you are referring to the signal bridge?
in that case, yes, 1995 makes sense for that..I was planning to go and take detailed photos of it, in case it got torn down!
but when I showed up with the camera it was too late..

motors? no idea..probably scrapped.
actually, im not sure any signals remained on the bridge after the 70's..
(if any did, they were definately not semaphores, they were target signals..)
I have one photo I did take, mid-1980's, but I dont recall what was on the bridge as far as signals, if any..
I will try to dig for the pic..

Scot
 #705626  by TB Diamond

Reference ConRail NE Reg. B.O. No. 3-105 issued 06 June 1985 CP Athens and all associated switches and signals were discontinued effective 14:01 hours Thursday 13 June 1985.

The block signal system Pittston Jct.-CP Athens was discontinued effective 12:01 hours Sunday 03 February 1985 per ConRail New Jersey Div. B.O. No. 2-S-438 issued 27 Jan. 1985.
 #705830  by TB Diamond

Checked my slides:

The Athens station was still standing as of 16 October 1981. I recall that it was gone by the next year, so 1982 is a probable year of demolition.

The signal bridge compass west of Main Street was gone by 11 May 1974.

Will search further as time allows.
 #705936  by lvrr325

Yes, the signal bridge.

Take a good look at the next crossing west, at the very east end of the yard, I forget what street it is but you cross it to go to a town park - pay close attention to the shorty gates for the sidewalks. Assuming NS hasn't made any changes in the last 10 years or so, that is.
 #706072  by TB Diamond

Reference Lehigh Valley Railroad Company General Order No. 815 Zone D; No. 835 Zone E dated 19 July 1968, effective 10:01 hours Wednesday 24 July 1968, paragraph (b): Athens Interlocking Station and Block Station, abandoned. Paragraph (a), in part, states: Signal bridge, 3510 feet west of M.P. 269, including home signal governing westward movements on No. 1 track; home signal governing westward movements on No. 2 track and signal 2692 governing eatward movements on No. 2 track, abandoned.

This concluded use of the signal bridge compass west of Main Street by the station and it was thereafter removed at some point in time.

The Athens station, after the Lehigh Valley Railroad discontinued use of the structure, was utilized for a time for storage by Ingersol-Rand. My uncle worked at I-R and once related how he had helped place some material in the station. He recalled that the station clock still hung on the wall.