Railroad Forums 

• LV at Dushore

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1058001  by pumpers

Looking at old topo maps and aerial photos at Pennpilot, it seems there was a switchback heading south from Mildred to climb the grade to Bernice. It looks like there may have been a wye on the south edge of Mildred (north of the switchback) to access a mine spur from both directions, but to me it sure does look like an LV through train would still have had to reverse on the switchback. JS
 #1060154  by Aa3rt

There has been a long running thread, with photos, on this line at another website that some of you who haven't already seen it may find of interest.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1299634448
 #1060579  by pumpers

pumpers wrote:Looking at old topo maps and aerial photos at Pennpilot, it seems there was a switchback heading south from Mildred to climb the grade to Bernice. It looks like there may have been a wye on the south edge of Mildred (north of the switchback) to access a mine spur from both directions, but to me it sure does look like an LV through train would still have had to reverse on the switchback. JS
Well, I might have to eat my words. I found a 1914 map that shows a wye which seems to indicate you didn't need the switchback and could run striaght through frrom Mildred to Bernice after all.
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BP ... n_1915.pdf
And here is a 1941 version of the same map, which is what I think is shown in the other site Aa3rt mentioned. It has the same cutoff of the switchback on there as 1914, but it was not so prominent on the 1939 Pennpilot photo, so maybe by then the straight-through leg was out of service.
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BP ... n_1941.pdf
As I mentioned earlier the straight-through leg was also missing on the 1934 topo: http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=PA
JS