Railroad Forums 

• LV 4 wheel caboose?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#773961  by SledDawg

I'm thinking about modelling the LV 4-wheel wood caboose #2606 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania using the old Bachmann HO model. It looks pretty close and could be detailed nicely, using the suggestions in the RMC article by DOn Spiro a while back. What's the story with this caboose? Where was it used? When was it built? Did the Valley have others like it? Are there any photos of it/them in service?
Any help appreciared...
Dave G.
 #777393  by SledDawg

Anyone? I have a few Valley books (but not all the Morning Sun photo books) and I don't find any photos of this car.
I've tried searching the RR Mus. of PA archives online, bu the search results are less than satisfying: a few photos indexed with Lehigh Valley and caboose, but there's no indication of car number, type, location, etc.

Sorry if it's a dumb question...
Maybe there's just no info?

Thanks again.
 #778077  by Otto Vondrak

SledDawg wrote:I'm thinking about modelling the LV 4-wheel wood caboose #2606 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania using the old Bachmann HO model.
I didn't even know LV had a four-wheel caboose... I knew LNE and NYOW did...
 #778352  by SledDawg

Here is the information from the RR Mus. of PA roster document:

1900c. Lehigh Valley Railroad No. 2606 LVRR Packerton Cupola RR97.39 Ex-Williamsport & North Branch No. 50?, C.W. Sones Car Shops? Lumber Co. Frame, undercarriage & trucks from L&NE tunnel car No. 671. Gift 12/1997 of John Gummo.

What is this L&NE # 671: http://rr-fallenflags.org/lne/lne-h671akk.jpg
 #784457  by scottychaos

There were several 4-wheel cabooses..
unfortunately I dont think any kind of "LV Caboose Roster" exists, except of course for the later steel cabooses..
we have talked about building an "all time LV caboose roster"..but I dont know if the data exists to accurately compile one..maybe..

I have seen photos in a few books..(The Archer book im pretty sure has at least one photo of a 4-wheeler)
I will take a look..meanwhile here is another photo:

Scot
 #827749  by GRSJr

Scott,

I tried to research this caboose with the idea of modeling it. Nothing but dead ends resulted.

By the way, the USA Trains LV95054 arrived. Beautiful even though inaccurate. The ladders are wrong, the lettering is yellow instead of white, no eyebrows, but what can you expect for 99 bucks.

There's the lettering "NMh" right above the BLT 1-32 marking. What's this?

cheers,

Ray
 #827997  by lvrr325

NMh is the classification the Reading used for it's similar cabooses, I believe.
 #828019  by scottychaos

Yeah, the USA trains caboose has strictly Reading features..they based it on a Reading prototype..then they just painted it up for other roadnames, but made no "roadname specific" detail changes..(which is pretty much normal model railroad manufacturer practice since the beginning of time..)

Im planning to buy an Undecorated caboose, and paint and detail it myself! :P

http://www.usatrains.com/r12163.html

(this is a "Large Scale" (G-gauge) 1/29 scale caboose)

Scot