Railroad Forums 

• LV 353 (RIP: Dick Horstmann)

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#696290  by jhdeasy

Today I learned that Dick Horstmann, former owner of office car LEHIGH VALLEY 353 in the 1970s thru 1990s, died on July 5, 2009. He had been a resident of a nursing home in Massachusetts for many years after surviving a stroke in the 1990s. I'm told a simple memorial service will be held in Syracuse or surrounding area around Labor Day weekend.

Under his ownership, LEHIGH VALLEY 353 was a widely traveled private car (across the USA, Canada and Mexico) providing a very traditional Pullman service to those fortunate enough to travel with Dick. I recall he and the car were featured in an issue of Passenger Train Journal; they also appeared regularly in Private Varnish, as he was a member of AAPRCO's Board of Directors.