Railroad Forums 

• LV 304

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#466474  by lvrr325

Just something interesting I learned today, I picked up a print of LV GP18 304 enroute back from Paducah Shops after being rebuilt to repair the wreck damaged short hood end.

Paducah did not paint the unit. It returned in faded LV black stripes, nose and ox-yoke in red primer, and an extra LV stenciled on the cab sides. They did supply number boards when completing the new cab face - the new cab retained the sides and roof of the original.

This would seem to imply the work done only consisted of repairs and the new filter - the unit was not changed internally. Anyone know if there was any mechanical work in fact done?

#466481  by scottychaos

seems the Paducah air filter yoke would imply some internal changes were made..

if no mods, there would be no yoke..

I have always thought (and I could be wrong) that any GP that went to Paducah and became a "Paducah rebuild" got that distinctive air filter..and the distinctive air filter was a necessary part of the rebuild..

If nothing was changed or rebuilt internally, why would a unit simply need a new air filter and nothing else? I suppose thats possible, but it doesnt seem logical to me.

to me, it seems more logical that if 304 got the yoke filter, which we know it did, then it must have also got the "Paducah treatment" that required the new filter..

but I dont know that for a fact..

Scot

#466955  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here she is, sitting at E'Port, shortly before her repaint into ConRail Blue..... Image

#466987  by lvrr325

Well, it's not quite like changing the air filter on a '50 Chevy from an oil bath type to a paper type, but it is the same idea, the thing just bolts on the top of the locomotive, the intake on the engine itself is the same.

When the 304 went out to be repaired, it had no short hood on it at all.